Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Strut bars??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Default Strut bars??

Ok, I can not seem to find a strut bar for my '02 Saturn SC2. I know Saturn is no longer around, but did everyone just stop making/selling parts for them or what?
Anyone know where I can get one?

I found this, but something tells me something changed in 2000 that would prevent this bar from working on my 2002. If someone here knows better please tell.
http://www.amazon.com/Polish-Aluminu...5825793&sr=8-1

Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

aftermarket support was never strong to start with

other folx on should chime in chime in with places to look

mine r bone stock

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 PM

Agree with Derf, and since out of production, aftermarket goes away too. And from my standpoint?
Not needed anyway.
But if all you want is the Bling Factor, if you are any kind of a fabricator you can probably knock something together that looks impressive.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 PM

That amazon one looks cheap and weak.
I found this a few weeks ago - Im hung up on buying one though since im not sure what they do exactly and/or how they will help.

http://www.amrengineering.com/produc...h-pt.html?ve=1

Old 01-06-2012, 06:41 AM

A lot of cars, notably things like big heavy fast pony cars are notoriously weak as to body flex.
This can be seen if you do a lot of your own work on your own cars that when jacked up the body will flex quite a bit as you jack one corner in the front. They are unit construction with no frame, just pieces of sheet metal spot welded together. To what degree do they flex? Some a lot.
If you watch small sedan racing on T.V. you see big wide tires, splayed out quite a bit at the bottom. Having those tires on the front stable in position make a big difference when handling is expected to be 10/10ths all the time and the contact patch on the ground is stable when the car turns. Also with suspensions the way the are, the cars are low to the ground with a SPLITTER accross the front that is a smidgeon away from the ground and important for air flow dynamics. All of which says, if the front of the car is flexible non of the above is stable.
So strut supports stiffen the flex accross the front of the car. Having said that, many of these devices are or have been developed to be available for installation on popular street cars for people to "upgrade" the construction/performance/economy or what ever.
But functional?
Most people will never see the use of them and if they do, the odds are really high, that they will only see the use as long as they have their drivers liscense which may not be long.
So they are essentially BLING devices. They look good, impress people and make the owner happy.
If it sounds like I think they are useless for the street, I do. However you have no idea of the number of ueless things I have done in my life to spend money on my cars.
The current one?
I am installing a Mercury Marine V8 Boat Motor in my 1976 AMC Hornet Stationwagon.
Now there is a really popular thing to do, but it has lots of Bling and I am having a ball doing it. I finished the motor yesterday afternoon including all the bits and pieces to have it be a bolt in.
Now I have the remove old motor, clean and paint the engine compartment and weld and finish a patch where the battery box rusted through the fender well.
And by the way. Talk about Flex? This things flexes like mad. My Saturn, nothing. Those things are as stiff a car as I have ever seen. But neither one will get a strut mount support.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 PM

My SC2 came with an e-bay strut bar already installed -

Seems to fit and work fine - looks ok.