Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

SC1 won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Default SC1 won't turn over

I have a 2001 SC1 - automatic. It has a few problems :P

When I turn the key I get nothing... no sound... no turning over. All the lights on the dash do what they would normally do during start-up. They come on, than when the key is full forward they all go off (including headlights) except battery and oil. I'm pretty sure i here my fuel pump kick in too. We think it might be the starter switch, but we don't know.

Also, whenever it shifts, there is a loud clunk and it rattles the car a bit. This happens when switching to drive of reverse as well as when it shifts gears while driving. I have replaced a motor mount already and can't seem to find if there is a forward transverse mount.

any ideas?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 PM

So

check fix or replace positive battery cable
check fix or replace battery

don't just sit there typing go to the first thing inline that starts your car, and that has nothing to do with the taillights.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by sw2cam
So

check fix or replace positive battery cable
check fix or replace battery

don't just sit there typing go to the first thing inline that starts your car, and that has nothing to do with the taillights.
it's not the battery. Everything else works fine. and if the lights are coming on it indicates that things are getting power. that why i mentioned it. I'm not just sitting here typing. I have been working on it for a few days straight.

Also, yes we considered the neutral safety switch. That's interesting that they got recalled. I will check it out. thank you .

Just to add, it does start sometimes just randomly. No problem at all, as if it were brand new. Than if you go to do it again it will just click. It seems that it won't start whenever the car is warm (either from running or from the hot sun?). This is what confused me most.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kipp21

Just to add, it does start sometimes just randomly. No problem at all, as if it were brand new. Than if you go to do it again it will just click. It seems that it won't start whenever the car is warm (either from running or from the hot sun?). This is what confused me most.
Your first posting said that when you turned the key you got nothing. Here, you say you get a 'click' but no rotation -- that sounds more like a starter with a dead spot in it ...

Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

or a marginal battery...or a good battery with marginal connections.....

Old 06-21-2009, 03:54 PM

The same thing happened to my 98 SC2. I checked everything.. battery, connections, starter, alternator... nothing!!

I had a diagnostic done on the whole electrical system and apparently i have an after market alarm on the car that i didn't know about. So i uninstalled it and its started up fine ever since. It could be something like that because you are getting power if not then it is the starter.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

sounds more like ignition switch?