Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

SC1 tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM

hi

well im new on saturns and i just brought a 97 SC1 that already replace the engine but now i have a transmission problem. i dont know much about the OBD2 stuff im more of ol''skool rotary guy that use stand alones or carbs and5 speedsso bear with me. i send the car to a local mechanic because the check engine light came on before i replace the engine, it said torque converter sliping or locking up? i dont know the number and i dont have a reader with me. well the engine cracked the head so i go ahead and replaced it because it would be cheaper to do this. well we never got track of the code so we forgot about it and now the code came back, i ask the mechanic guy to give me the code but he didnt write the code number. so i was wondering if the saturns are commons for tranny faliures. because i dont feel anything wrong with the tranny while im driving it. and right now because of that code i cant pass inspection and i dont really want to replace the tranny or the converter if i dont have 2 so im wondering if is something simple or commmon? thanks

eddie

Old 11-17-2008, 11:38 AM

Gonna need that code number to give accurate advice.

Saturn automatics do have their problems if neglected and not properly maintained. You wouldnt get codes because if it though.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

im going to ask my buddy from advance autoparts if i can use their scanner and ill let u know. i dont know the real history of the car but so far i can see that is been neglected, it have his miles, 173K on the odo andi justput a 60k miles motor so i dont know how the tranny got treaded

Old 11-22-2008, 03:41 PM

sorry for the delay is just my buddy couldnt find his scanner, but the number is PO741,the scanner saidtorque converter CKT performance orstuck off, the code show up twice but the second time had a PD next to the number, i looked on my hayes manual and the code is not there so what does mean, that the converter is bad? thanks

eddie

Old 11-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Believe it or not, a bad engine coolant temperature sensor and/or bad transmission fluid temperature sensor can cause this.

In order for the TCC to apply, the engine coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature have to be above 68 degrees. When these sensors fail, they usually read at -40 degrees or less all the time.

If your friend can find his scanner and it has real time system monitoring, check the temperature of both the engine coolant and tranny fluid after the engine has been running a while. It should be obvious if the temps are abnormally low.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 PM

ok ill ask another friend of mine that he have a better scanner that him and ill check that, i had to replace the temperature sensor on the engine already so i should look for the trannny one. BTW were is that temp sensor at in the tranny?Edited by: eddierotary

Old 11-23-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by eddierotary
ok ill ask another friend of mine that he have a better scanner that him and ill check that, i had to replace the temperature sensor on the engine already so i should look for the trannny one. BTW were is that temp sensor at in the tranny?
Near the tranny filter and tranny lines going to the radiator.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM

thanks man, ill keep posted

Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM

well i checked with my buddy and that sensor is fine, i replaced it just in case plus i change the tranny fluid and the filter and the code still comes on, i notice something today that didnt do before and is when it try to go to 4th gear or OD i dont know what u considerthat gear,is when the check engine comes, any clues or something that lead me to something? another thing too i cleaned all the grounds i found on the engine bay so it should get better voltage now