Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Sc1 Short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Default Sc1 Short throw shifter

i have a 1997 Saturn Sc1 5 speed. im looking for a short throw shifter. and of course, no company makes one for a saturn. if i find one for any other similar model (ex sc2, sl1, sl2) would it be able to fit my vehicle as well???

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 AM

While I do not specifically know the answer through my own experiances with a Saturn I think the statement no one makes one covers it.
The origninal Saturn of which your model is one of shared no mechanical or cosmetic parts with other GM or non-GM manufactures as far as I know. Also as far as I know something refered to as a short throw shifter would give more movement to the cables that actually do the shifting of the transmission with less movement at the handle. Something which must be done with mechanical advantage. While I have no idea how that is done with a front wheel drive car that uses cables or something equivelent to reach the transmission which is generally a lengthy and/or contorted distance from the shift lever it does not sound to me as if it can fabricated easily with out changing the cables and what or how they are installed too. It would sound to me as it would be both expensive and as the Saturn was never really marketed as a performance car, something which had little appeal to a Saturn Owner in the first place. Which is probably why nothing is available. The single cam engine which is what is in your car was the bottom line engine that was available in it's time.
To answer your question directly the odds are if it fits one of the S/C models, it fits them all. Assuming of course we are talking about those manufactured from the beginning to some where around 2002, where by that time other non-related Saturns were being built which represented the sharing of major components with other GM manufactured cars world wide.
If you are concerned about correcting an existing sloppy shift linkage, the cables have probably stretched or some wear has occured with the shift lever link to the cables. A problem discussed many times here and other places as age has affected the original cars. This can only be resolved by replacing the parts related with GM manufactured replacement parts.
No one has found aftermarket parts that actually were made correctly. Apparently the aftermarket parts were modeled or reverse engineered from broken parts that had allready stretched the cables to the point things did not work well and they do not work well. GM parts for this application seem to be the only ones that fit correctly. The question remains though as to now long some of these parts are actually going to be available for the original S series cars since they are out of production for 10 years and the company itself no longer exists.
My 94 has a sun roof, a high maintenance item that I actually use and enjoy but it is for ever breaking plastic pieces that I have to purchase from Saturn or a GM dealer that will look up and sell Saturn parts. The last batch I recieved were not packaged in a GM package of parts, but a generic sandwich bag. And the dealer actually lost the package and took a week or so to find where it had gone to. That was frustrating. I wonder if I can still buy these parts?
While I do enjoy a shift it yourself transmission right now I am glad it is an automatic. It works well and it is problem free.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 AM

They were made at one time. May want to check sixthsphere and see if anyone is selling one.