Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Saturn sc2

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 PM

I have two 1997 Saturn sc2's one has a bad transmission and the other one was in a rear ending it rear ended someone. i wanted to make one good one out of the two and i was wonder how hard it would me to take and change the motor tranny and whole front axle and stuff to the car with bad tranny. If anyone could help show me how to do this or post some pics because i have never changed a motor before but do have mechanical knowledge. If you are wondering what the crashed one is like click this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...l?ViewItem&amp ;ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewit em=&it em=200083430832&rd=1,1

Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 AM

Well; i don't have any pictures, but i have changed trannys in these cars. You're gonna need a basic set of metric hand tools, preferably some impact tools, jack & stands (or a lift if you happen to be so lucky), etc. It also helps to have a spare set of hands if any of your buds are willing to help. Start be removing all the easy bolt on crap that's in the way: air intake, battery, electrical connections, etc. Undoubtedly, you will have a few spots where you can't remember how it all goes back together, so either take mental notes or draw some pictures. Drain the coolant. Remove evereythingelsethat will get in the way (exhaust, hoses, etc.)Hang the engine from a board and chain or get an engine hoist and also get the car on some jack stands so you can begin removing the front end (a-arms, axles, ...) and also the motor mounts and tranny bolts if you wish to take out the engine and tranny seperately. Or, if you can get the car high enough up in the air it may be better to take and drop the whole front subframe, with tranny and axles attached, and pull it out from under the car. I realize i'm leaving out a whole bunch of details, but in short, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to make the swap. Be patient, do things right the first time, and don'tget yourself hurt.

-S-Turn-

Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 AM

will i still have to make notes and draw stuff even if i have a manual and yes i happen to be so lucky that i have a car hoist in my garage and i think it will be easier just to switch the whole subframe how long do you think it will take?

Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM

As long as you're conciously thinking about what you're doing, and you have a manual as a reference you should be fine. On a Saturn, if you're working all day on it you should be able to at least rip out both subframes. And since the lift will be a time-saver you can probably even drop in the new motor/trans.

-S-Turn-

Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 AM

after i take and drop out the motor and trans what should i put it on to move and also will it be hard to take out the motor of the good car without taking apart the body or what i have never done this and any help or tips would be appriciated.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hartman

after i take and drop out the motor and trans what should i put it on to move and also will it be hard to take out the motor of the good car without taking apart the body or what i have never done this and any help or tips would be appriciated.

Unless you bolt the subframe and trans back into the donar car, there's really nothing you will be able to do other than keep the front jacked up with a cherry picker, or put some kind of casters, or jacks under the front of the car to move it around. You won't need to remove any body panels (although it wouldn't hurt to do so if they are damaged anyway). Just take out the inner plastic wheel wells and the air dam under the front bumper area. Another tip: be sure all lines/cables running to the trans are disconnected before dropping the eng/trans, as this will be a costly mistake if you forget to do so. Also,.......can't find the link right now, but some guy on the forum disconnected his A/C lines.... unless you don't want A/C just unbolt the compressor & leave the lines connected.

Also thought you might like this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2494685/2

He didn't have a hoist, and didn't drop the subframe, but it shows a couple pics that might be helpful.

-S-Turn-

Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 AM

well i got the motor out of the donor today in about5 hours now i just have to get the car out of the garage and bring the other car in and start the process over. but when i was taking this one apart i noticed that the side of the motor where the belts are the 3 bolts that bolt to the motor mount 2 of the threads are broken is it hard to just change that whole cover?

Old 03-25-2007, 12:43 PM

was taking the engine out as bad as you thought it would be? were there any particularly difficult [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]steps? (just as a couple tips to help others out there).
I'll go and check on my car to inspect the motor mount, and i'll chime back w/ my 2 cents

-S-Turn-

Old 03-25-2007, 01:17 PM

it wasnt really that hard just the transmisson cable was hard because it had some wierd connecter to hold it in place i thought the steering would be hard but it just slid out all i really had to do was unhook all electrical, fuel lines, throttle/shift cables, brakes,and the radiator. then i just unbolted the four bolts of the subframe and put jacks on the motor and raised the car.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:27 PM

It couldn't hurt to try removing it off the donar car. It looks like there's just 2 studs, with a nut on each, that fastens the mount to the chassis.

-S-Turn-