Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Roof rack and catback questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Question Roof rack and catback questions

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone makes a roof rack for the sc2? I'd like to throw a canoe up there. Yes, I have a sunroof but it doesn't work and I don't plan on fixing it. Also, any recommendations on a catback system that will add some favorable tone to my car without making it sound like a ricer? I don't want the bee trapped in a tin can sound. Maybe even just a muffler. I prefer direct fit but if a universal is my only option and you have experience with a nice deep sounding one lemme know and what did the installation require? Thanks everyone.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:21 AM

I don't know about the roof rack, but you might check out Borla and see if they have anything available for the Saturns. They make a mighty fine exhaust system.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Agreed. Borla is a fine exhaust. Thanks for the input. Also, I'll check out the exhaust threads.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Good luck with it. Maybe even check Flomax? I don't really know. After all, it's a four cylinder and nothing is going to make it sound like a V-8. Let us know what you decide to do and post a sound clip, if you can.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Well, after listening to some sound clips on YouTube, I will stick with oem. Even with a cherrybomb or thrush it's just to high pitched for my liking. I'll still take suggestions though.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM

Hmmmm... Just heard one made by Thermal R&D...Sounded pretty good!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, the Walker "hi performance" (read, not a COMPLETE POS" ) sold by NAPA and others about $50 has actually made my ancient Saturn sound just a tad bit deeper and not throatier but "with more substance". NOT BY MUCH.

This is extremely convenient, as they seem to be the only mainstream ones left who manufacture OEM fit mufflers for our cars.

And for the one you heard -- what was AHEAD of it in the system? Hi flo cat, glasspack, resonator delete.........? Just trying to point out that the sound at the tailpipe end is the sum of the effects of all the exhaust sys components. So if the person had $700 worth of performance exhaust or modification, then of course your car will not sound quite the same.

But please keep us informed.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:00 AM

In my opinion, most of the raspy, high pitched exhaust is from a cat delete/resonator delete...

The muffler controls decibel level, and exhaust flow, and tone(to a minor degree)

The resonator controls sound depth/range/tone to an extent

The catalytic converter controls exhaust gas emissions and as an ancillary function, serves as another resonator...

The glass pack exhausts you have viewed can be interpreted as basically having a muffler delete, and it is fairly commonplace for people to get the resonator cut out when getting a fancy 4" exhaust tip/round muffler installed, which changes tone and in many cases sound ricer-ish...

My advice- get a Thrush muffler(I have a thrush welded on my ranger, sounds similar to flowmaster but half price), and buy a glasspack at least as long as your factory resonator is(if not longer), I seen them up to 48" long... Leave the factory cat alone unless it's plugged solid... As for tube size, only go a little bigger than stock... There is such a thing as too big... I wouldn't go any bigger than 2.0 inch on a SOHC Saturn or 2.25 inch on a DOHC car, due to the differing rev limits and average engine speeds...

Old 09-08-2015, 04:40 AM

Food for thought. Derf, is that the quiet flow ss or sound fx model? I gotta check under my car. See exactly what needs replacing. Had it for a couple of weeks now and it seems like I've developed an exhaust leak somewhere. If it's further up I will go more custom.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM

So...I think I'm going with a Walker sound fx direct fit and replacing the cat with a more strait through design plus replace my o2 sensors. Cars really slow getting up to speed and with 170k, not sure if they've been replaced. I'm averaging 25mpg and I drive a 50/50 highway, city mix. I remember my first Saturn getting an average of around 32 mpg, of course it was standard and this is an automatic but it just seems bound up somewhere. No vacuum leaks and I just tuned it up. New coils, denso plugs and ngk irridiums. New air filter, haven't done the fuel filter yet but I've seen a lot about the bank 1 o2 severely affecting mpgs on here so onwards I go. I'd like to do the thrush cherrybomb setup but here in Mass our inspection is ridiculous so I can't go to loud. Thanks to all for your input. What an excellent forum!

Quick Reply: Roof rack and catback questions