Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Replaced Alternator, Now having diff Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM

So have you tried doing what that link says?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Sorry EVERYBODY, went to Jamaica and family put their feet down. No laptop no Black Berry. Im kinda hooked. So im back to the drawing board on caring for my 3-door babyl Getting right on- Tues Oct 1. Thanks for all the remedies, Here I go, will keep you posted.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Dang, my car doesn't work and I get to go to a pick A part junk yard.
you get to go to Jamaica. Life is not fair.
Listen go to an auto parts store that will read the codes for you and write them down and post them when you can.
They will tell some kind of a story about what is going on.
An O'rielly's will do that, but others might too.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 AM

Smile! About my trip. But guess what? My Southern 69 year mom told me to take it to O'Reily's (cause the people are nicer than Autozone) and see if my battery is strong, now you say go get a reading. 1st thing in AM Im on that. Love working swing shift. Others have told me if battery less than 4 years and wires no corrision that may not be it so thanks about the full reading advise. more later.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Well, I went to Reilys, Battery Good, Starter Good, New Alternator Good, Key Fob batteries changed Good, couldnt do the 12 volt check on the starter sleonoide with ignition on that someone told me about so headed to an electrician friend for that. Thank the stars that it still starts with the click click count to 10 ritual

Last edited by French Chocolate; 10-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Chevy Dealer says its the Key fob, then says it may be the flywheel on the starter, WHICH would you replace first. Its coming down to economics here, guys. Help. Yet it still keeps starting only when I do the darn ritual

Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

Pushing the buttons on your keyfob don't have a damn thing to do with your flywheel. I'd be up in the Owner/Manager's face at the dealership about that.

Man, I just hate it when somebody tries to take advantage like that....

Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 AM

I'm curious as to how they checked your starter. If it wasn't taken off the car, then it should be. I suspect that you may have a brush that's about worn out or at least sticking in the armature or maybe even the solenoid is sticking. By cycling the key on and off, maybe the electrical pulses cause the connection to be made. Hey, I'm just guessing, but it looks like what everyone else is doing too. And a dealership will ALWAYS try to take advantage of a woman. I've seen it happen all too many times.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 AM

I have always told myself that when push came to shove I would spend the money to buy a modern up to date scan tool in order to diagnose what ever car I have at the time that needs diagnostics.
This car is an example of that.
I am not the least bit familiar with your problems and I dislike security alarms. I however can read and that is why I collect service literature.
I have no idea how good your dealer is that you went to nor do I care to guess. I am not however impressed at this point in time.
This information is typed out from my service literature. If it proves to be an aid to you hooray, that is the reason for typing.
First of all, with a problem of this nature which seems to be associated with the security system there should be retrievable codes. If they are they probably are some form of these:
DTC Codes P1630 and/or 1631
u1000
u1064
u1300
u1301
P1630 should be theft deterrent system in learn mode
and P1631 should be Theft deterrent system password incorrect.
Now an indepth explanation as to how they got that way is beyond thinking about it at this point in time.
However
Where ever you go to spend money on fixing it, some one should have this data. I do, but I do not have the car nor the scan tool. If needed I can supply it.
As to the uxxxx codes? I did not look them up.

However the following information may be valuable or a waste of time.
If the PCM Passlock code stored in memory does not match the BCM Password OR PCM does not receive a password from BCM, it will allow engine to start then stall with in 4 seconds.

The Security indicator light will flash for 10 minutes if PCM receives no password, an incorrect password or disable fuel fuel command. If password to PCM is correct, engine will operate normally. Password is sent continuously by
BCM to PCM during run mode. If password is lost or incorrect during drive cycle, engine will be allowed to start on succeeding ignition cycles witout the aid of Passlock and the the security indicator light will stay on all the time. This mode is called fail enable mode.

DTC parameters
DTC sets when PCM receives an incorrect of unrecognized password from BCM

Diagnostic procedures
note;this PROCEDURE CAN BE USED IN PLACE OF service stall system (sss) PROGRAMMING system

NOTE! Perform these procedures 3 times (30 minute auto relearn).
1) Turn ignition on. Turn ignition key to CRANK position, but DO NOT start engine. Wait 10 minutes. Observe SECURITY indicator light. Light should change from flashing or on, to off. When SECURITY indicator light changes status, turn ignition off, then repeat the procedure 2 more times.
2) After completing relearn procedure, engine should start on the next ignition cycle.
=========================
Now if this is the least bit helpful, than that is good. If it is confusing? Well that is my way of getting even for going to Jamaica when your car won't start rather than the pick A part auto junk yard I get to go to.
I can send you printed copy, actually I can print things out and then scan them and send as a jpg also. I keep forgetting I can do that. But I need a place to send them to.

O.K., Chocolate, the best I can do for the moment. Hope it helps.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned

With a detailed write-up like that, UnclJohn should get to go to Jamaica with you the next time .... LOL

Quick Reply: Replaced Alternator, Now having diff Problem