Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

New owner to an old 2001 saturn sc2 3door

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Default New owner to an old 2001 saturn sc2 3door

well i just bought my saturn a month ago the person i bought it off of had it sitting for 2+ years

when i got it home i changed the oil plugs, wires, fuel filter, and put in some Sea Foam in the oil and gas to help clean it out.

hers the thing when i start it sometimes i have to give it gas old it at 1200rpm till all the white smoke clears if i dont hold the rpms it will choke and stall i do this for about 20-30 seconds then its fine untill i shut it off and go to use it again

i bought the car for 450 it passed safety with flying colors so i am not gonna mind putting in the time and money i need to get it to where i want it to be i know a little about repairs and am buying a chilton to help me a long the way

BUT..... if you have any input as to my situation with the white smoke i would be thank full .........

Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM

In my experience, white smoke= water, grey smoke = oil and black smoke = fuel. That being said, is the engine using water? Did this only start after the sea foam treatment?

Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned

White smoke you say -- check your coolant to make sure you do not have any trace of oil there. Also, when first starting it up in the morning, after getting the engine stabilized, open the radiator cap, and look for bubbles (possible blown/broken head gasket)

Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM

no it was like that when i got it home the car was all ready running when i showed up to look at it
thats why i put in the sea foam i thought it would have helped clean it out.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Like OceanArcher said, keep an eye on the coolant and also, if it is using water, there should be an antifreeze smell coming from the exhaust. You may be lucky, and it might actually be oil smoke. I have seen worn valve seals let oil past the valve stems into the combustion chamber. Then when you start it up, you get a nice cloud of oil smoke. Had a 1983 Dodge pickup with a 318 and they were notorious for bad valve seals.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 AM

thanks ill check it out in the morning if it is a head gaskit how hard is the fix and there is only one other car like mine in my city for sale at the moment the third i know of is in a scrap yard

Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Banned

Fixing/replacing a blown head gasket can be a challenge, but if you have a fair amount of experience with automotive engines, and are handy with your tools, it can be accomplished. Need to make sure that's the problem though ...

Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 AM

its all cleared now the sea foam must have cleaned it out also soon as i turn the key i wait for the fuel pump to engage and it starts fine

thanks for all the help guys so if i wanna talk about tuning my car up do i make a new thread or what

Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 PM

Just do the normal stuff. Change the oil, all the filters, plugs, and wires. If the car wasn't maintained, I know that the timing chain tensioner is prone to going bad. I have heard that oil deposits and sludge ruin the tensioner. I'm still running on the original tensioner and timing chain.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Use factory replacement NGK plugs no matter what ONE person has encountered. Over all they are the best plug for your S-Car.

Quick Reply: New owner to an old 2001 saturn sc2 3door