Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

my new engine in my sc1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM

i ahve a 1994 saturn sc1 with the SOHC 8 valve engine. I am switching the motor out with a DOHC 16 valve engine. does anybody one know if i need a new computer/ ecu unit when i switch to the new motor. let me know whats up. thanks guys.

-cameron

Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 AM

a guy i know that swapped in a DOHC into his car, had to swap ecu's. fortunately this wasonly one of very fewchanges necessary for the swap

-S-Turn-

Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Same tranny and mounts... But what about the sway bar?</span>

Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM

not sure bout the sway bar...where ya thinkin' it to bea matter of interference with the bottom of the engine? I was looking at my sway bar (1992), and the only point where i can see where it's even close to the engine is where it is roughly 2 inches from the oil pan. However, the bottom end on the DOHC and SOHC are the same, so this shouldn't be an issue. If for whatever reason, the swaybar he has now doesn't work out, then i'm sure he could get one dirt cheap from the bone-yard.

This had me wondering tho... are there any aftermarket sway bars available for the earlier Saturns?

-S-Turn-

Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM

I don't believe so... And no, it's not necessary to change out. However, I was just thinking about whether or not he was doing a full conversion or just a block swap... Because it is a different one.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 AM

well i am doing a engine heads basically a new engine just not a new transmission. but im not worried about the sway bar on the front end. im only worried about the ecu/ computer for the new engine. your guyses bets are that i will need a new one. caus ei remember your buddy said he did need a new computer/ecu unit for his new engine swap. right???? let me know thankyou

-camer

Old 04-19-2007, 01:36 AM

Yes, you'll definitely need an ECU out of a DOHC saturnEdited by: S-Turn

Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 AM

would this work if i bought this ecu???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...Factory-Rebuil t-ECM-ECU-Engine-Computer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQ ihZ001QQitemZ110114252987QQrdZ1

how do new computers work on freshly installed engines? do they jsut recognize the engine or something????

Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 PM

I couldn't find anywhere on the ebay listing where they specified the ECU as being for a SOHC or DOHC, or MT or AT. On other cars i've worked on, and in my buddy's case with the saturn, it's necessary to swap out the ECU. Ignition and Fuel are monitored andcontrolled by the computer, based on the sensor readings. If you change engines without changing ECU's the computer has no way of knowing this, and in all likelihood will send incorrect signals to compensate for the different sensor readings that the DOHC will be generating.

Besides, the computer on eBay is a rip-off. Get a good used one from a salvage yard for a lot less $$$.

-S-Turn-

Old 04-19-2007, 04:32 PM

yeah i would go to a junk yard but dont i need a reprogrammed computer for the fresh engine???

Quick Reply: my new engine in my sc1