Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

My car is possessed

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Banned
Default My car is possessed

It's a 2001 SC2 with an odd problem. Sometimes it won't start. There's no consistency or pattern to it at all.
When I say "won't start" I mean nothing. Just the normal dash lights. No cranking, no spinning, no nothing. I can roll start it every time.
It's got a new battery and I've jumpered the clutch "safety" switch so that's out of the picture.
It usually cranks up like normal but last night it happened twice.
And it's only got 220000 miles on the clock!
Any ideas?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Poor / dirty connections at battery / cable compromised by acid

Loose connections at starter

Starter

Just went through the same exact sequence w my 97sc2 w 242k. Original starter. It started flaking out in exactly the same way. Take note of whether the non crank happens more often when trying to start it when the engine is warm/ hot.

I could sit and turn key. Dash lights and silence. Attempt #2,same deal. Key turn #3 starts right up like nothing is wrong. Weak Bendix in starter.

Have your charging system load tested to ensure battery is not the issue. Free at auto zone.

If you do end up needing a new starter I recommend a reman ac delco from rockauto.com. comparable price as the crap brand of the month starter auto zone carries. Plus you won't have to use the auto zone warranty when you have to replace the pos every 2 yes. With another pos.
Oh by the way, your current ac delco starter lasted 222k
Food for thought

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention that I've checked the connections for corrosion, dirt, tightness, etc. Got those ideas from reading here.
You're right, I'll check on the AC Delco starter. I despise Chinese aftermarket parts. Buy once, cry once.
I'm off to Rock Auto to see about a starter.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:38 PM

It could be time to replace the ignition switch. I'll bet that sum beech is worn out. Especially if you carry a lot of keys on your key ring.