Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Instrument Panel Bulb Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Sounds about right. I don't know if your part will be the same as mine; logic goes out the window when it comes to auto manufacturers and bean counters. There was a reference in that thread to other years to different threads over there, but since I didn't need it, I skipped over that info. Hope my digging helps you!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed it has. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 PM

New bulbs finally arrived by mail. They came in a padded gold envelope. Not impressed with the packing method. A little baggie with four bulbs were inside. I swear, the website said six, but i need to go back and check before i really do swear. All bulbs appear to be intact. If you want more than four, you'll have to order more than one bag. If the snow has melted tomorrow, I'll go out and crack my dash and put them in.

EDIT: Yep, the web page says "Set of 5" and I have 4 in the baggie. Wonderful.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot I bought mine from Amazon, and they group them there by 4s. Disregard this post.

Last edited by Dave4422; 02-20-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Bulbs are in. Now I have two extra. A note to anyone doing this job to their cars: You'll have to remove the top cover of the steering column to give you more wiggle room removing the dash panel and to do that you need a 7/32 socket. There are two screws in deep recesses that hold the cover on. Be mindful not to get the socket stuck in the holes!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

thank you sir.

Do you now have an inventory of which bulbs and how many?

Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 PM

The PC 118 were the correct bulbs for the IP. Using the third link in my previous post gets you to a website that sells the original equipment bulbs. I ordered a bag from them because they were convenient, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper. The bag contained four bulbs that twisted into place. A quick check last night showed that they work perfectly. Since I had two burned out bulbs, I have two extra old bulbs.

There are four bulbs that provide the backlighting behind the gauges with two "stage" lights in the top of the housing that illuminate the needles from the front. I put the four new bulbs behind the gauges and two old bulbs for the "stage" lighting. So I have two old bulbs that stull work fine left over incase the "stage" lighting goes out.

If you want to replace all bulbs, there are two stage bulbs, four backlights, two directional, high beam, day light, and odo light. So total of 11 bulbs on the back of the IP housing to replace.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Cool thanks! what about brake, oil , SES, cruise, service wrench, traction control, battery, etc? I take it from the above that you strictly went after IP actual lighting as opposed to lighting + indictor bulbs, yes?

So it's the PC 118s and not the 74's? so confused (sorry). I'll reread the thread and if I have more questions I will PM you.

Thank you for the valuable info!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:33 AM

Derf, Yes, I was only going after backlighting bulbs. The oil, SES, cruise, etc lights are inside the IP assembly. I didn't crack it open because I had access to what I needed without opening it any further.

Give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can see inside the IP. I have my morning free and it sounds like fun!

EDIT: Ok, after poking around the IP assembly, the only bulbs that are serviceable are the ones accessed from the rear. These are the beige based bulbs 1.5 watt 12 volt mini bulbs that I will post a link to below. The P74 bulbs are an incorrect part number for this application as they are too large and probably different wattage and voltage. Do not get P74 bulbs. NOTE: Digital Odometer takes a different kind of bulb. I don't know what kind. It had a more squat shape and it was frosted instead of clear.

As for the other "idiot" lights in the IP, they are LEDs. Looking at the back of the IP, there are white plastic rivets holding the computer board to the frame. These will have to be drilled out to access the LEDs. There is no access to them from the front. Popping off the black housing and gauge needles and face plate doesn't get you anywhere, trust me, I looked!

I didn't want to damage my IP so that's where I stopped. I'll include some more photos into the photo album from my previous post to include this new information for you Derf.

Where I got mine:
Amazon.com: Mercedes Bulb dash instruments 1.5w Beige Socket ( x4): Automotive Amazon.com: Mercedes Bulb dash instruments 1.5w Beige Socket ( x4): Automotive

Part Number: 910141-000000

Manufacturer: Osram/Sylvania

Description: 12V - 1.5W Beige Socket Base

This bulb is a direct replacement for 2002 SC2 Instrument Panel background lighting, turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, and DRL indicator. All other IP illumination is done by LEDs wired directly into the electronics board.

https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/me...-ip-bulbs-216/

Last edited by Dave4422; 02-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome info, sir. I truly do appreciate you taking the extra time to sort out and document all of that