Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Inconsistent Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned
Default Inconsistent Starting

2001 SC2 5-speed 193,000 miles.
Car won't start after short trips.
I know you guys have seen this same problem a million times, and I've seen the threads, but nobody ever answers the problem.
The best way I can describe it is the car acts exactly like I'm trying to start the car without pressing the clutch. All the lights work, fuel pump goes, and accessories turn off when the key is in the "start" position.

When it wants to start, it starts right up.
When it won't start, I leave it alone for 30 minutes and it starts right up like clock work. No amount of messing around or jiggling has ever let me start it. Only waiting.

I suspect the clutch peddle position sensor switch.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 PM

Ever replaced the starter, if not its probably your culprit. Mine did it at 110 thousand miles. Before you go tearing into it check all your cables for corrosion, especially where they meet the battery. Bend them and see if you feel/hear a crackling sound. If so, replace them. but I think the starter is your problem.

Next time it happens, get a wrench and find your starter underneath your intake manifold, and give it a few good smacks. It worked a few times for me.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

I've ruled out the clutch sensor switch. Could it also be the neutral safety switch? I want to make sure before I get a new starter.