Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Idler and Tension Pulley Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 AM
Default Idler and Tension Pulley Parts?

2002 SC2 3 door. Please send the exact parts I need to replace the idler and tension pulley assembly. Having difficulty finding the exact parts I need. I purchased from Advance Auto the idler pulley #89026,the tension pulley #89026 and serpentine belt #5050780. Have not installed them yet.

The mechanic that’s going to help me wants the tension pulley assembly with the spring. I found that on NAPA Part #: NBH 90K38112A but no guarantee that it fits my SC2.
Please let me know what the right parts are for this job, thanks!

Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Apologies, but we here at the forum do not send parts to people. It's too expensive and no one ever says thank you. Good luck. You might want to be less demanding.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
Just kidding.
Let me go look some stuff up.
Be back

Belt Tensioner. Dayco. 98240. Fits 98 to 02. $49
Some claim poor quality control. OEM is best but pricey.

AC Delco 21008320: $92
---------
Idler Pulley
Dayco 89026 gets good reviews re fitment. $16.34
Gates 38026 seems popular choice as well $ 13.30

----------
Serpentine belt
Since you have power steering and AC,
Gates K050778. $16.10.

All prices are rockauto.com. shipping costs will bring the cost closer to store bought identical items but returns are no hassle. Plus their parts listings are essentially error free.
--------
Now what did you buy?

80926 is just the pulley. So that will work for the idler pulley.

For the tensioner, you want to purchase that as a single unit so return the other 80926. Go with the complete tensioner assembly Dayco 98240.

The thing you bought at Napa is a complete kit that includes the belt, the entire tensioner assembly with pulley, and the idler pulley. Problem is, no idea who made the parts, if the same company made the parts, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad set, I'm simply saying you need to try to figure out by looking at the components and any numbers stamped into them who made the parts. The kid is only as good as its weakest part and there are belts that come that are manufactured too short, there are belt tensioners that are manufactured with the pulley too large and the piece that sits recessed into the block is too small and therefore does not work right, etc. That's why I took the time to specify each part individually. These issues with non OEM Saturn replacement parts for the tensioner pulley and build have been known since the '90s but nobody cares enough to fix them.

Totally your call which parts you choose to install.
If you choose to use the kit from Napa, I strongly suggest you look up specifications of the parts I listed above and measure them on each of the components of the kid before opening it or trying to install it and see that they match. Once you get them dirty trying to install them they will not take them back if they don't fit at least most places won't.

Hope this helps. Please stop back and let us know what you chose and how it worked out. I need some sleep.

Last edited by derf; 02-21-2022 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:25 AM

Well my apologies Derf for the way I requested your assistance. I'm always grateful for the expertise on this forum.
To clarify I'm not asking for parts, I have them. Below are the parts I have - I researched and bought them. .

We were ready to install on Sat but my "mechanic" helper wanted the tensioner pulley "assembly" with the spring. I was stressed when I submitted that post looking for answers right away. My bad. Anyway the install will be next Sat. The only kit thing I could find for the tensioner was the NAPA part below and it's not clear if this for my 3 door. I called parts dept. from a few GM dealer ships and no one answered or returned my call.

So, if possible, it would be helpful to know the right idler and tension pulley part #'s you would recommend for my 02 SC2 3 door. As always thanks.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the detail Derf, I'll dig into it later today, on the run right now.....

Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM

Derf, I'm struggling trying to find Dayco 98240. Can't find it in RockAuto or Advance or anywhere else. RockAuto does not have phone or chat contact.

I did find the AC Delco 21008320 part for $92 and says it fits the SC through 2002. So, I guess I'll order the AC Delco but will hold off until I get your OK, ok?

The Dayco belt #5050780BTW is what I have.
Please let me know on that Delco part. As always, thanks.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

F me 89 240 not 98 240. It's on Rock Auto.

Please forgive me. It is probably also available elsewhere for more money but faster access.

I hate when I do that. Truly sorry.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:15 AM

All's good Derf.....just ordered 89240 from the Rock be here on Friday hopefully do the job on Saturday and post the great results on Monday!

As always, thanks! You make my life, and many others, a lot easier!

Old 02-24-2022, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

It's always fun to pass down some knowledge that 26 people on the face of the earth are interested in. Now we just have to wait for the 27th.....

Can't decide if my 95 SC2 should be buried with me or if I should be buried inside it. The interior needs work. Don't want it to look shabby at the funeral.

Wait. I can get cremated along with the vehicle and then the ashes will be up proper mix of me and my Saturn. Oh how creepy.

Took them both out for a drive last week. Get the batteries charged up, waiting for something to break and leak. I need to flush the brake system and change the tranny fluid on the black car and then it goes by by.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:14 AM

OK to follow up. Replaced the idler and tensioner. It was straightforward took 1.5 hours. Remove the tire and shield. Remove the engine mounts and move the motor up and down a little to get to the pulleys. It was tight but very doable. As a note the Dayco 89240 pulley was larger than the original but it was fine.

The problem is that it did not solve the problem. Bearings are still screaming. We think it's the water pump BUT the A/C died a few days ago and the clutch is not rotating. So, is it the water pump or compressor acting up - or both? There's no power to the A/C compressor so I want to replace the A/C sensor switch first. I have some questions about that but it's off topic from this thread so I'll post those elsewhere.

Anyway, the belt, idler, and tension were worn out so I am relieved they're replaced and appreciate the Forum's assist getting it done.

Quick Reply: Idler and Tension Pulley Parts?