Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Gas gauge not working right

Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Default Gas gauge not working right

Been having to jump start my sc2 if it sat for more then about 2 days. Went out today to drive it only to find out I had no gas as far so I thought put a gallon of gas in it took it to the gas station just to find out my gas gauge was not working. After I filled it the rest of the way up had to jump it again. Thinking it just did not charge enough. Went to the store came out and the same thing. While driving to the parts store to get a battery started noticing the gas gauge would work sometimes. Put new battery in it and the gas gauge started working right again. I guess when the battery goes real bad the gauges are the first thing to stop working right even though the car ran just fine.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Saturn gauges are very sensitive to improper voltages, same goes for the instrument cluster lighting. Flickering of the lights or jumping of the gauges is a solid wake up call to check the electrical system for problems ....

Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Thank you for letting me know that I will defiantly keep that in mind. This car has been riddled with problems since I got it but I think I have just about got all the bugs worked out. Today was the first real successful shake down cruise I have had with it which is to say that nothing went wrong. So I think I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project. Next up will be to see about turbo charging it

Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM

You have an old car that's riddled with problems, and spending money on turbo seems like a good idea to you. Ok then..................tell me how that turns out.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM

I just built the motor 2 months ago after the car sat for 6 months. I am just having a few little problems with it but I kinda expected that given the fact the last owner of it was not real mechanicly inclined. And his idea of when to check the oil was when the oil light came on. I probably will wait till the spring to put the turbo on it so I will have the time to get the rest of the bugs out of it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 AM

It sounds to me like it would be a good time to go through things and clean electricalconnections along with unplugging plugs and using some electical plug grease on the contacts and such and putting them back together.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

I never thought about greeseing the connections that is a good idea it seems to be running fine exept on start up and then sometimes it acts like it is flooded but other then that it run good. I am thinking might try injector cleaner in it I have always used Lucas in the past. But been hearing about sea foam. What is your option on that product.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Pull the connector on the ECTS, and measure the resistance of the sensor with your ohmmeter. Should be about 360 ohms .....

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM

With engine hot or cold or does it mater

Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

Preferably cold -- less chances of burning your pinkeys .... LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas gauge not working right