Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 AM

I have a problem that has been occurring for the past 6 years. It is not obviously happening everyday, but it has started happening at least once a week. I will be driving and all of a sudden I feel the car act as if it does not have enough fuel going to it. The car starts fine, but when it starts to act up, I have to keep on the gas in order for it to keep from stalling. The car will be running great, then the slipping seems to occur, then once I let my foot off the gas the rmp's will go to zero or above and in about 5 seconds the car will stall. I have a 1995 SC2 manual. But what is confusing is if the car stalls, it takes about 2 turns of the key and everything is OK, engine running fine, and it acts as if there is no problem. Once this happens the "Service Engine " light comes on, but when I restart the car, it goes away. I have replaced the fuel filter, thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. I thought this only happened at high speeds(60+), but it happened the other day in a 35 mph zone. Any thoughts? < =""><!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Service / replace EGR valve -- especially if you have never done so.

EGR valve gets mucked with carbon buildup (esp from burning as much oil as you do on a 95) -- and sticks - causes wild RPM gyrations and stalling, often followed by flawless restarts.

Problems usually show up on decel/accel

SES code is probably for EGR fault -- get it read at Autozone or similar.

Please post resolution

Derf

Old 09-07-2006, 11:44 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Well I installed a new EGR valve about 3 weeks ago after reading your reply. I have had no problems experienced on the interstate or anywhere else with the car. As I mentioned earlier, this started many years ago and has not been a re-occuring problem until recently. Thanks for the solution. Also just to mention, the 1995 saturn sc2 has an old connector so AutoZone, Advance, Napa cannot read this because they only carry the new (generation 2) readers for 1996 saturns and above.

Greg

Old 09-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it's fixed!

FYI -- the codes can be read on an ODB I system (95 and earlier) by shorting Terminals A &amp; B of the ALDL (diag) connector -- turning key to on -- the SES light will then flash code 12 (one blink, short pause, 2 blinks), a total of three times (indicates diag system operational) then any stored codes in a similar manner (with long pauses between codes). Code 12 is then flashed after the stored codes to indicate all stored codes have been displayed.

Some ODBII scanners have adapters available for ODBI systems -- guess Autozone doesn't want to be bothered.....

Derf