Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Default Front door speakers

Okay, My son was complaining that the speakers in the car sound like crap, so today I told him I'd take the old ones out of the back and measure them and he could go buy some and I'd install them. It was a pretty simple procedure actually and the the new Scosche speakers he got at Walmart actually sound pretty good. The old ones were so dry rotted by the sun, that when I touched the paper cones, they fell apart. Got that all buttoned up and he wants to get some new ones for the doors in a couple of weeks. I was looking at the door panels, but don't see how they come out. I'm not one for prying and pulling without having an idea where fasteners may be located. Can anyone tell me how the door panels come off? It looks like the previous owner pulled on the grille covers and broke a couple of plastic pieces and I don't want to finish it off. If any of you have replaced your door speakers and can tell me how to do it, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 AM

I am not sure but ----- I had to get into the front door on mine to replace the window regulator and it turned out conveniant access is had by removing the plastic door skin which is not hard to do at all. (The outer skin) I would not be surprised to find that is also the easiest way to replace the speakers. Although I could look it up in my service literature. Just too lazy to do it tonight. Get back to me if you want me to look it up.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 AM

That's okay, uncljohn, I'll see about doing that. I've seen the video on that and it looks pretty simple. It'll be a couple of weeks before I head there because my son will have to put a little money in his pocket to get some more speakers. I told him that's his responsibility, not mine. I pay for all the parts and do 95% of the labor anyway.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:03 PM

If its the same as the sedan (which I think it is, just wider) theres a a plastic cap above the inner door panel for the mirror which needs to be pulled off (a good tug normally takes care of that) and then a few screws in the door panel and you unhook the door handle and it should pull up and off.
Then what I did was cut the stock connector and used the right sized female spade connector and spliced it together. Installation is reverse of course.

Since my saturn is my first car, I had the same problem. I obliterated all 4 speakers within a week of having my liscense.

If your gonna do alot of the work on the car a Haynes manual might do you some good. Helps me out alot (such as here when I first replaced the speakers)

Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the info, Octavious. I plan on getting a Haynes manual, but my wife's medications have just about put me into bankruptcy this month. I've spent about four hundred bucks on them so far. We're eating beans, rice and ramen noodles for the rest of the month. Money is very hard to come by around here.