Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Filling the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Default Filling the transmission

Okay, this was strange, but I don't know if it's common or not. After I drained the transmission fluid and changed the filter this morning, as I was refilling the transmission, it burped on me an puked quite a bit of fluid out of my funnel. I've never had this happen on any Mopar I ever owned (50 plus). Is this just a quirk of the Saturn transmission? I spent a good twenty minutes cleaning it all up. I didn't want it getting hot and stinking up the car. I drained a gallon out. Does this sound normal? I put a gallon back in and the level looks good. I had to add it very slowly as it wanted to burp on me a couple of more times. Has this ever happened to any of you?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM

I always insert a small screwdriver or a nail between the funnel and the filler tube to prevent that. I'm not really sure where the vent is on the automatic, or if it even has one.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Good idea, man. I had to pull the transmission funnel up just enough to let it vent. I don't think these transmissions have a vent on them. If so, then mine must be stopped up. LOL

Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM

I went back to my parts yard last night to check out some Saturn automatics and as far as I can tell, the fill tube/dipstick assy. is the only vent. When the dipstick is seated it still breathes through the very center and under the handle. I knew it had to have a vent on it somewhere. The manual transmission vent is a little more obvious.

Last edited by hoseppi; 08-01-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM

Yeah, I did the same thing earlier and noticed the vent hole in the top of the stick. Live and learn, huh?