Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Hey. New to this forum so take it easy on me please.

I am currently repairing a 96 Saturn with a 1.9L DOHC motor. I dont know how many miles are on this engine as the last owner gernaded the original and put this one in.

When the engine is running doesnt matter when. It has what sounds like EVERY lifter is clattering. If you hold it at say 2500 -3000 for 30 or so seconds. Tick is gone. Wait a few and then its back.

I am a mechanic but I am very new to 4 cylinders. V8's are my home lol.

I replaced the upper timing chain guide as the rubber insulator was gone. The engine was ran a very long time without a filter change. He kept adding oil bcause it had a leak. So I immedialty changed the oil and filter. Thought maybe the lifters werent pumping up because of poor oil circulation. Nope. still clattering. When I had the valve cover off there was considerable sludge build up.

Should I run some engine cleaner through to see if the lifters pump up? Seafoam I use alot. But wasnt sure if theres a trick to these engines.

So I hope somebody has had a similair problem and can give some advice here. I rebuild engines and do alot of custom car work. This is not a big problem. But going to a place with people who are knowledgable on the car at hand, Is a good idea I thought.

Thanks, Matt
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Ok guys. Found the problem. Timing chain is VERY VERY loose. Im am laughing so hard that I cannot believe the chain has not jumped or broken. It is UNBELIEVEABLE how loose it is. WOW. So its getting changed. Ill let ya know how it goes. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM

same thing happened on my nissan,,,replaced the timming chain and guides and now it runs like a champ< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>