Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Door Trim/Panel Removal

Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

Hi I'm trying to get into the doors of a 1997 SC2 to get to the speakers, have removed the inner handle and lock switch and have the full trim about a quarter detached. It looks like the whole trim needs to move up over a lip at the top then all the hooks at the bottom will free up, however the inner mirror guard is in the way of that. Anyone done this before? how'd you get through it all. I've got the plastic handle pieces apart, possibly not necessary, was very tight and have already cracked one part of those.
ThanksEdited by: sw2cam

Old 01-06-2008, 11:17 AM

1. Remove the mirror trim panel by firmly pulling on the panel to disengage the attaching clips. If equipped with a manual remote mirror, allow the panel to hang from the adjustment cable.

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/97scdoorpanel01.gif[/img]

2. Remove the fastener from the center of the inside door handle assembly. Slide the door handle assembly forward while pulling outward from the trim panel. Using a thin screwdriver, disengage the rod from the retainers.

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/97scdoorpanel02.gif[/img]

3. On manual window vehicles: Using a standard window handle tool, disengage the manual window regulator handle clip and remove the window handle.
4. On Coupe: Remove the push pin rivet on the upper rear edge of the trim panel and the screw at the upper front edge near the mirror.
5. Remove the trim panel fasteners at the pull cup and lower the rear corner of the trim panel.
6. Pull up on the door trim panel assembly to disengage the trim panel to door structure attaching hooks and remove the door trim panel.

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/97scdoorpanel03.gif[/img]

7. If the pull cup is to be changed, remove the pull cup fasteners and remove the pull cup from the door trim panel.

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/97scdoorpanel04.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

Nicely answered. As I suspected it'd be some sort of plastic clip getting in my way (the internal mirror trim). Unfortunately even with all care I managed to snap one off - god I hate plastic clips. However some fiberglass and epoxy plastic weld is taking care of that.

Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by jilbruke
Nicely answered. As I suspected it'd be some sort of plastic clip getting in my way (the internal mirror trim). Unfortunately even with all care I managed to snap one off - god I hate plastic clips. However some fiberglass and epoxy plastic weld is taking care of that.

Thanks again.
Theres actually a replacement clip available from Saturn for broken clips.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Banned

How does that work? There's a metal clip that claws the plastic tab, the plastic tab came off with the claw. Does the replacement simply claw the beam further down? Anyways, will see how the fiberglass goes, if that fails I'll look into the clips. Where do they come from, will any Saturn dealership have a pile of them?Edited by: jilbruke

Old 01-07-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jilbruke
How does that work? There's a metal clip that claws the plastic tab, the plastic tab came off with the claw. Dows the replacement simply claw the bean further down? Anyways, will see how the fiberglass goes, if that fails I'll look into the clips. Where do they come from, will any Saturn dealership have a pile of them?
It grabs the plastic tab further down. Its Saturn P/N 21040288

Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

Thanks for that, was in the dealership asking for them, the typical know-little behind the counter looks around for 5 min before handing me something identical to the original clip... Well done. So I actually turned his computer round and found your post to show him the part number to look for, he found it... So thanks, and thank god for part numbers!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Cool. I never go to the dealership for parts without factory part numbers in hand. Actually I never go to the dealership anymore. I just order online. How much did they charge for the clips? Saturnparts.net charges $0.80 each.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned

They want 99 cents, which is amazing.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM

Not a bad price considering you purchased it at a dealership parts department.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Trim/Panel Removal