Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Coolant missing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:02 PM

Let's start with the car in question. It's a 1995 SC2 with a manual tranny. I just bought this car and looking to clean up a few problems. First thing I noticed is that after I drove it home the next day I went to drive it there is a light on the dash that looks like a temp light and next to it there is a light that appears to be a low coolant reservoir light. They both will flash together. The engine, at least according to the gauge, does not run hot. But when I look the reservoir is low. So I fill it up. Then it will quit flashing for as long as I drive it. But if it's more than an hour drive, which most are, the next time I go to drive it the lights are back on again and it's low again. I can't see where it's leaking anywhere. Where is it going? And how do I stop it?

The other minor problem with this car is the front right fender is broken just above the wheel. Looks like it maybe got hit with a shopping cart or something. I can't seem to find a fender for it. I can find fenders for SL2's though. Are they the same fender or are they different? And if they are different where can I find the correct fender?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:20 PM

lomfs24- I have a 2001 SC2 5spd which i purchased used....In the first month of owning my car,I came across a similiar issue.I would be driving and the coolant gauge would come on,coolant would be low,i fill it,and in a matter of days the light would flash low coolant and i would have to add more. I finally took the car in to see what was going on..... I was told the intake manifold gasket was bad and that was where i was loosing coolant. I had them replace the gasket,and it solved my coolant problem.Now,Im not sure if it is the gasket....But,it could be a good start.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:42 PM

Sounds like you may be running a little warm (possible ECTS problem) and you're pumping out coolant out of your overflow valve whenever it get a little warm...

Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 PM

I would think that if I was leaking that much coolant in the intake manifold I would be getting all sorts of smoke. Not a bit of smoke. I wondered about the overflow valve but it doesn't run hot. It is usually hanging right around the first mark on the temp gage. I wouldn't think that would be too hot.

I will check those things though. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM

BTW, what is an ECTS and how much do they cost or can you repair them yourself?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 AM

Engine Coolant Tensor Sensor... You may not think you're running hot but you very well might be. The stock was was cheaply made and tends to break (thus leading to other problems that spawn from the same issue). It is recommended that you change the sensor and the cheap connector for it as well. I'll let other people on here tell you more about it as they're more knowledgable than I am about it...

Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by GarrenNatas
Engine Coolant Tensor Sensor... You may not think you're running hot but you very well might be. The stock was was cheaply made and tends to break (thus leading to other problems that spawn from the same issue). It is recommended that you change the sensor and the cheap connector for it as well. I'll let other people on here tell you more about it as they're more knowledgable than I am about it...</font>
OK, I will take your word for it since I am new to this car and know very little about what is common weak points. I can't imagine that part is too terribly expensive. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works. I'll have to wait until next week since everything is closed right now.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Never noticed any smoke...

Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 PM

Well, I found the problem. I finally got a chance today to really look at this car I bought. I bought a temp sensor and was looking to begin putting it on. I decided to put the car up on ramps and take a look at the bottom side. Low and behold, there was antifreeze. So I traced it back to the plastic side of the radiator where it's cracked. Bulged a little and cracked. Looks like it might have froze or something.

Anywhooooo, that's my problem I believe. Does anyone have a radiator they would want to sell?