Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Default Clutch slipping

The clutch on my daughter's 2002 SC1 started slipping yesterday. It has about 150,000 miles. I pulled the old one and noticed a fair amount of trans oil in the bell housing. The clutch disc itself doesn't look much thinner than the new one. I'm concerned that there is a leak that will damage the new clutch. Is there a transmission seal that I can replace while I'm in there? I don't have the tranny out, I have just seperated it enough to remove the clutch.

thanks,

jay

Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM

I don't know if the seal can be replaced the way you want to do it. You always have to wonder what caused the seal to fail in the first place. I've never had to replace one. I have several transmissions already out so I can go back to my yard and see if the job can be completed in the manner stated. Ok I'm back and I don't have a single 5spd that doesn't have an engine in front of it. Sorry, but I won't be able to check out the seal design

Last edited by hoseppi; 11-29-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM

I'm not absolutely sure the leak is trans fluid. I cleaned the bell housing before looking closely. I checked and the rear main seal looks dry. However there seems to be a small amount of motor oil seeping in around the starter. It looks like it's coming from the cam cover or head gasket. Not enough to stain the driveway though. Almost 2.5 quarts (2.6 capacity) of trans fluid drained from the tranny so it's not using much. Any idea where else oil could come from and contaminate the clutch?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 AM

That area is just below the oil fill opening.....is it possible that someone had trouble hitting the hole? Clean the area with Gunk and see if the oil reappears. I've worked on quite a few of the S series cars with a lot more miles than yours, and have never had a problem with oil saturated clutch discs. Are there any heat marks on the flywheel or pressure plate?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 PM

You may be right, the oil on back of the engine may be from overshooting the fill. I don't see any other source. The old pressure plate and flywheel have burn marks on them and the clutch is dark in color. I thought that might be oil staining, but it is not wet.
My last Saturn had the same drivetrain and didn't need it's first clutch until 250k. This car has 150k on it. I've had it for the last 15k. Also, the clutch I removed is a LUK which I believe is an aftermarket unit. This means that the car is going on at least it's third clutch.
I'm going carefully because I don't want to do this job again if I don't have to, but at this time I guess I'll just put it back together and take my chances.
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Were you really able to do the clutch without removing the engine? I have a 97 SL1 with 228K on the origional clutch-still going strong. I have 2 daughters myself, and they both drive automatics......ok....I'll quit beating around the bush....do you think it could be the operator?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Yes, the clutch can be replaced without removing the motor. Very good step by step instructions at this link: http://www.cristhomas.com/cars/Clutch/ClutchHowTo.html.
As to the operator, I'm not ruling anything out, but when I'm with her, she is very gentle with the clutch. I guess I'll find out.
btw, I broke the nipple off of the clutch slave cylinder while trying to put it back in...man what a chore. I've ordered another one online and will resume the build on Thursday. Wish me luck.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 AM

I've got a good routine for removing engines, but the next clutch r&r I will try your way and see which is more efficient. That slave cyl has to be replaced as a complete assy., so I imagine it is quite expensive. Well good luck and congradulations on bringing another one in ahead of schedule and under budget. Oh, as if that were the case!