Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   Best way to smoke out 1996 SC2 tail lights (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/best-way-smoke-out-1996-sc2-tail-lights-10355/)

19bonestock88 12-03-2015 01:42 AM

Well, they don't really make a dark gray dip, so I hadn't done it... They do make a "smoke" product, but it is just gunmetal premixed with clear, and I don't much care for gray lights... They do make an anthracite metallic, but it's supposed to have really good coverage, which doesn't help with the lights... I've wanted to experiment with body color tinted lights, but haven't tried, for lack of accurate color matches,,,

derf 12-03-2015 05:55 PM

i would think that would be illegal if the reds and yellows do not ultimately produce red and yellow when you're done tinting....just a guess

zolair 12-04-2015 09:00 AM

Bones those pictures you posted is exactly how I want my car to look, how should I do that if I should not spray the covers?

19bonestock88 12-05-2015 02:11 PM

I just said to not take the lights apart to spray the insides of the lenses, that way if the tint needed reversed, the lights wouldn't need to come back apart... It would come out better if you sprayed from an HVLP gun and mixed the black and gloss(or matte clear) beforehand... If you looked at my lights from less than two feet, the tint(not the overall finish) would look slightly splotchy because I sprayed from rattle cans...

derf 12-06-2015 03:51 AM

So you mean to spray the outside, not the inside of the lens.
How do you prep the outside before spraying?

19bonestock88 12-06-2015 11:29 AM

It's actually really easy... There's no special solution or procedure, just make sure the surface is really clean... Do a touch less car wash(if you do those), then dry thorougly(DYC recommends drying overnight), then follow up with windex or a similar product...

derf 12-07-2015 02:52 AM

oil/grease is your enemy.
That includes the oils from your fingers
Just like you never want to touch halogen headlight bulbs with bare fingers -- the oil deposited by your fingers weakens the bulb

goaliemo 12-11-2015 09:36 PM

I have been using Purple Blast from dollar tree, and that stuff is magnificent for cleaning anything. I spray down my dash and doors with it, it makes a HUGE difference.
Used it to clean my tail lights before I put the covers on, and I have never seen them look so good.

As for the tinting, I am not 100%. I just bought euro's for Topanga and covers for the redline.
I have seen people use the night shade though, and looks decent when done right. Might even be able to use plasti-dip

Helomech119 12-20-2015 10:40 AM

Sounds cool, but illegal in Minnesota.

19bonestock88 12-20-2015 11:08 AM

Also illegal in West Virginia... It largely depends on where you get inspected and what sort of police you encounter... Ive never had any trouble, nor have I had an "illegal modification" charge added to a traffic ticket, but I do understand the risk...