Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Best way to smoke out 1996 SC2 tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Banned
Default Best way to smoke out 1996 SC2 tail lights

I have a dark green 1996 SC2 Saturn, the Windows are blacked out as well as the wheels are painted black. I want to smoke out the tail lights but don't know how to go about it. Please help me by pointing me in any direction. Also what are good aftermarket websites. Thank you all so much ��

Attached Thumbnails Best way to smoke out 1996 SC2 tail lights-image.jpeg  

Last edited by zolair; 11-30-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 12-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome. Funny, the windows aren't blacked out and the wheels are stock color....is that you in the pic?

And what did you do to get your car keyed so bad?
If you fixed it, I'm interested in knowing how.

I think users 19bonestock88 and goaliemo may be able to help with the smoking angle.

Unfortunately, there is VERY little aftermarket out there for S cars; never really was a whole lot to begin with.

--Some OBX headers still out there. People usually do catback with glasspack then magnaflow etc -- doesn't sound ricey.
--Funky bushing sets--dunno how well they work
--Big bore throttle bodies were "in" at one time -- you'd prob have to get your won machined at this point
--Maybe a strut tower brace

Best mod for performance w least amt of work and $$ is adding a Turbo.
May be some kits out there, if not, you can google the forums
Significant modifications and machining required

stay AWAY from aftermarket
------ECTS
------Motor mounts (unless you really want the "performance(?)" increase in a 124hp vehicle AND you're looking to injure your lower back from the extra vibrations)
------Goofy non-oem plugs w plutonium. Use Copper NGK BKR5ESA-11 's. Millions of miles, came with the car for a reason
-------Any electrical parts from Autozone or Advanced. We have a member who has worked at both companies.
-------The Turbinator (Ebay). Useless POS
--------ANY S series aftermarket chip -- 100% bull****. There is no such thing

Old 12-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

here's one way (expensive and I'd want to see the real picture)

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GTSGT095.htm

Here's another (also expensive)

Gloss Black Smoke Headlight Taillight Tint Vinyl Film 12" x 48" Saturn Saab | eBay

Google is your friend

Old 12-01-2015, 08:59 PM

As far as smoking taillights, Plasti-Dip is your friend... It's DIY friendly, cheap, and looks good when done properly... Most importantly, it's 100% reversible, so if you mess it up, or find out it's illegal in your jurisdiction, you can take it off without much fuss... Go to DipYourCar.com - Plasti Dip For Your Car - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint to view tutorials on how to spray the product, but basically make sure the lights are clean, and make your first coat light... You can mask off the lights, or remove them for dipping, it's up to you...

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 AM
Banned

Thank you both for responding back to me, first I just want to let you know derf that that is an old picture, the first day I got it. I have since plasti-dipped my wheels and tinted my windows so you can't see in. And my car was never keyed that is just a reflection that looks like it.
I'm thinking I will be taking off my tail lights and plasti-dip the inside of the covers until it's want I want it to look like.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

It's all good. Just razzin' ya. I was a bit harsh for which I apologize.

Bones -- since when can you do translucent Plasti Dip? Translucent enough to keep him from getting rear ended at stop lights? Granted I know nothing about the product, you've used it, and I am too lazy to visit the website and learn at this hour, as I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out how to resolve goofy knock sensor codes on my neighbor's 2005 Silverado 1500 Pickup. 98% of the owners of the older 5.7 v8 s have the issue sooner or later, people struggle for years to fix it.

I have tomorrow from 3 to bedtime. But I digress.

Translucent Plasti-Dip? Please do tell

Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 AM

Welcome to the forum, Zolair. You should realize that we bust on one another here all the time. We're all pretty thick skinned and enjoy the camaraderie. Those that can't take it don't stick around long. BUT, those of us that do build some good friendships and help each other out when we can and in many ways. Good luck with your projects and congrats on a nice looking whip.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by zolair
I'm thinking I will be taking off my tail lights and plasti-dip the inside of the covers until it's want I want it to look like.
Please don't spray the inside of the LENS... It'll be harder to remove if you decide you don't like the look... I usually go a light first coat and then a medium second coat(of black) and then 3-4 good, thick costs of matte clear, and then the glossifier(on the outside of the lens). You have used the stuff before, the wetter you can lay it down without it running(I advise placing your lights on a flat surface to discourage runs)
Originally Posted by derf
Bones -- since when can you do translucent Plasti Dip? Translucent enough to keep him from getting rear ended at stop lights? Granted I know nothing about the product, you've used it, and I am too lazy to visit the website and learn at this hour...
Translucent Plasti-Dip? Please do tell
Well derf, like any other paintable coating, you don't get 100% coverage with the first coat, or at least you shouldn't... I usually gauge my lights during the day, while I'm spraying the black(the clear doesn't further impede the light)I look to still see just a little of the red color of the lens and see the shape of the inner reflectors... The lights still light up red(I mask off the reverse lights), just not as bright as without the tint... Now, in the early afternoon(or maybe in a rainstorm or fog), the light is a little compromised, especially if you go too dark, but they are plenty visible at night... It's also why I suggested using plasti-dip; if I spray my black on too thick, I can peel it off and start again, no sanding or cussing required... I'll post up pics of some completed projects...

Old 12-02-2015, 11:20 PM

Taillight projects...
07 Malibu...
Name:  image.jpg2_zpsy3bhwviy.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  280.4 KB

04 Ion Redline...
Name:  image.jpg1_zpsmygvirmt.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  345.8 KB

95 Ranger...
Name:  imagejpg3_zpsc064d838.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  110.7 KB

05 Forenza
Name:  image_zps3f004453.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  94.8 KB
^^ that wasn't me in the door of the car
With such lights(all these vehicles were mine), I haven't been hassled by police at all, even with it being illegal in my jurisdiction... Notice how on all the vehicles, a hint of red can be seen through the black? The light shows through, even in the daylight... The Suzuki was darkest of all(my first set of lights), with my subsequent sets being better done and not quite as dark, in person

Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

thank you for the explanation of how to do and why it works out in the end w r t visibility.

Have you ever tried using a dark grey vs black or is it not dark enough in the end?

Quick Reply: Best way to smoke out 1996 SC2 tail lights