Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

advice on buying an SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Default advice on buying an SC?

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Saturn SC1/2 for my teen son - it seems a nice compromise between sporty and practical, and gets great gas mileage. I found both an SC1 and SC2 locally, but want some advice / opinions on what to look for in terms of problem areas.

Are these cars known for specific problems? Has that 3rd door caused any problems like leaks or body flex as the car ages? Are there certain years I need to avoid, or certain mileages I should stay under?

And how about the positives - any cool things I should know that's not on the spec sheet?

Finally, any issues about getting service or parts now that Saturn is no longer in business?

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

Get the SC2.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Answered as a fairly accomplished back yard mechanic and one who really enjoys my Saturn. The biggest problem I see is a teenagers tendancy to pound a car and break it. I did it and I don't know too many that have not. The Saturn will take it as well as any, that is not the problem, the problem is fixing it. Parts are going to be a problem. Finding someone to do it well with out major expense and dealing with things as they happen as some times shows up in a forum such as this. The plastic gizmo that holds the shifter in that breaks when the cables stretch. Cable stretching (standard shift) is a given, the problem is one of a number that are showing up as the cars age. Working on an alternative solution and then figuring out how to live with it is a roll a hobbiest uses and many times happily. They have proven to be prone to oil consumption, depending on who you talk to, not the only ones, but the ones on this forum. If you do google check on light weight oil and excesive consumption:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
there are over 2 million hits on this subject. Dealing with using the proper oil before damage takes place and living with it after it takes place is a maintainence procedure that used to be followed religiously until light weight oil was promoted supposedly for the benefit of fuel mileage and the heck with increased engine wear. (The warrenty period would be up before the engine lets go)
Parts and service will be a problem if you are not comfortable doing your own work.
I think my Saturn is a fine car. I have maintained it as I believe it should have been rather than the factory suggested methods and there is nothing wrong with it other than cosmetics. I have spent money doing it over once and I am considering re-painting it again.
The young lady accross the street son has already tore up a Mitsubishi and I would not sell this one to her for her son, he would tear it up and she can not afford to maintain it.
He does not have the common sense (automotive anyway) that God gave a bag of rocks.
If the company was still in business and still made there own cars rather than sold badge engineered Opals (also referred to as corporate platforms) I would recommend it in a heart beat.
But as it stands, parts are hard to find and getting harder, I have had parts for mine on order for 3 weeks not and the Chevy agency with the big sign that says we do Saturn service, has no clue where they are or when or if they will get here. According the the friendly counter guy.
And as far as the parts for the corporate platform badge engineered models? There is (according to a few mechanics I know) a location somewhere around Apache Junction where those parts are shipped to from DaeWoo in Korea where the major mechanicals are assembled per designs from Opal in Germany and orchestrated by the dip sticks in Detroit.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 AM

An up date to parts availability. The local Chevy dealer found them today. It looks like there were shipped and then recieved and promptly lost some where in the dealership. So at least I can keep the sun roof operational for another couple of years.