Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

98 sc2 tps issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Default 98 sc2 tps issues

Like the title says i have a 98 sc2 having serious issues with the Throttle position sensor. Just wanted to get some input

car throwing 2 codes po122 Throttle position sensor low input, and po105 map sensor baro circuit malfunction.
I replaced the TPS, still malfunctioning. So i rewired the harness From tps connector the PCM. thought everything was fine all day, started acting up again. Threw the same two codes.
Tested the TPS, .56 volts with key on engine not running. which test correct. Anything below 1.25 volts is exceptable according to haynes and chilton.

Would love at this point to get some c4 and blow the car sky high.
Any input would be greatly appreciated to help me fix my pos.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Because YOU don't know what your doing blowing the car up is the answer?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

what about replacing the MAP sensor -- that's easy

Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM

HAHA i dont know what im doing?
The car has been a lemon from day one.
Ive been building cars and truck efi and carb for years. Im a welder by trade and can fabricate anything. Saturns are plastic throw away cars, i have never seen one that has lasted over 70 000 with out a serious motor failure.
They are junk.

and i have changed the Map sensor. Already tried that. becuase the ecu uses the signals from both to make sure that the parameters are in order.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:31 PM

I guess it is possible you have never done any plastic welding, and I can't really agree with your position on the junk status of Saturns. Personally I have never seen one with a motor failure except for the one that rolled at a high rate of speed and wore through the hood and into the cam cover or just pure mind numbing ignorant abuse. I've seen them go hundreds of thousands of miles running under basic neglect maintainence and know of an active rent to own program of a local wrecking yard where Saturns were the car of choice to enter the program once salvaged from the wreck status. As the owner of the yard was prone to say, they run 400,000 miles with nothing but oil changes and easy to repair when broken!
My own personal Saturn has been more than satisfactory after 16 years of owner ship and one of the few cars that was actually worth spending stupid money on to cosmetically put it back together at least once.
I'm glad you can fabricate anything as I have been known to do that too, except I had to learn to weld to do it. I made my living as an electronic trouble shooter, thus indicating almost anyone can learn to weld. I have two welders at the present for different complexity of jobs.
I suggest then on your 70,000 mile junk saturns that you just go ahead and throw it away and quit wasting your money on it.
Not worth the effort to just be frustrated by it.
I am sure there is something more worthwhile out there you can spend your time, money and knowledge to own. I know where there are a number of Yugo's no one wants, but then again, I am sure you can find them anywhere.

Good luck

Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

you didn't say you replaced the MAP sensor -- and my clairvoyance meter is broken.

If Saturns are crap, why do you own one? ANd why are you trying to fix it?

If it's been a lemon from day one, why'd ya keep it?

How many data points support your 70K failure rate? Was it one of your other Saturns?