Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

98 SC2 Serpentine Belt change

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 AM

Hello everyone, This is the 16 valve engine. ~140K miles. Either the belt gave out or the tensioner os shot. Will I need tools to change the belt or just relieve the belt tensioner? Will the belts slide in and out without removing other parts? What is the best method for replacing this belt? The car is in a parking lot away from home.

Thanks in advance,
SlimbobEdited by: sw2cam

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM

Its possible the tensioner is bad.

Remove the belt with a 14mm wrench. Attach it to the center bolt of the tensioner and rotate clockwise to loosen tension. With tension removed, slide the belt off the A/C compressor or water pump then rotate the tensioner back. Now remove the belt.

To remove the tensioner, remove the passenger side wheel and splash guard. Using a 10mm socket, remove the two mounting bolts and remove the tensioner from the car.

Reinstall the tensioner and serpentine belt. Refer to belt routing on the sticker located at the top of the radiator support.

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/beltremoval.jpg[/img]

[img]uploads/LowSaturn/tensionerremoval.jpg[/img]

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Well, it looks like the tensioner is indeed bad. I had the car towed to where my son is a Honda Technician. He can replace the tensioner today.

Thanks for the input,

SlimbobEdited by: sw2cam

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM

No problem. Hope everything turns out well.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 AM

The car is running again after my son replaced the tensioner. Thanks for all the input. What was wrong with adjusting the tension with the alternator or other device that is in reach? "Tensioner", Can you say engineered in replacement parts (maintenance costs)?I really dislike working on newer cars, but then again I started wrenching on cars when you could stand in the engine compartment and it only had 1 vacuum line. I love driving them though!

Thanks again,BobEdited by: sw2cam

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Slimbob2932
What was wrong with adjusting the tension with the alternator or other device that is in reach?
None of the other drive belt accessiories are adjustable. They are all in a fixed location.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Low Saturn, I know. That's what I'm complaining about. The tensioner is a built/engineered in broken part to sell us fools. Regardless, the job is done. Now for the shifter/cables problem.

Thanks again,BobEdited by: sw2cam

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

A friend has asked me to replace the tensioner tomorrow (02/06/08)...it's great having lead time like this...they're in a hurry as they'll be trading this car in at a dealership.

In any case, I have instructions on everything but the specifics on what tools I'll need to remove the splash guard on the front/passenger side wheel.

Any KWIK replies would be greatly appreciated.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM

a204189,
Use a smaller flatblade screwdriver to insert just under the retainer's cap. You'll see a slot on either side of the retainer. Use the screwdriver to release it and pry it out. We were lucky and none of them broke for us.

The tensioner is held in with 2x 10mm bolts. You'll also need a 14mm wrench to hold the tensioner when installing the new belt.

Check Low Saturn's reply in an earlier post on this thread.

Luck,
Slim

Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 PM

I think I may need a new tensioner. My belt is squealing badly.. Anyone know how much a new tensioner costs for a 93 SW2? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 98 SC2 Serpentine Belt change