Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

96 SC1 runs rough, SES light on??

Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 PM

Have a 96 sc1 (automatic)with 89K miles. While driving the SES light came on, and at the same time it began to run rough and have white smoke. If the cars sits for a few days and I start it up, it runs fine for about 2-3 mins.It seems when it hits operating temp, the SES light kicks in and it simaltaneously begins to run rough. Let it sit for a few more days and the same thing happens, fine for a few minutes, then ....

Don''t know tons about cars, but... seems like a sensor of some sort that is kicking in!?!? OBDII conector in car doesn''t work, (it''s a 96 and needs it to read SES codes). A week from Christmas and have already replaced PCV valve and hose, ECTS, TBS and plugs. Not sure what else it could be? Tried to search for related problems, but no luck... what can I do or what can I try to replace inexpensively?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM

Did you replace the ECTS connector?, if not it might be a good idea. The connector is a dealer item only and if you bought the ECTS from someone other then the dealer you might want to pick up a good one while your at you nearest SATURN store.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 AM

Actually, in the town where I am, there is no Saturn dealer... lol Hmmmmm connector didn''t seem to be greenish or questionable. Bought at a parts store, guy who helped worked at Saturn for 12 yrs, and looked at the connector for me and said it was ok. Decisions, decisions....

Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Actually we have seen more then can be counted that were bought at part stores that just do not work.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Is that something that would affect the idling? cause smoke (that smells of gas)? loss of power? hesitation? Like I said, if it sits for a few days, it''s fine for a bit... so I am fairly confident it isn''t the engine or head (no residue on the dipstick, or oilcap). Frustrated... lol

Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

KCKIM ...

sw2cam has a very good point. Lots of times, after market equipment just will not work as advertised. The symptom you mention (rough running after warmup) is just like an ECTS that fails to make good contact when hot. Good luck with the connector ...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Got a ton of snow here today... may try to clean the EGR Valve in the next few days (pending weather) and see what that does. Heard that''s a common problem with these cars and can often be fixed with a good "cleaning". Here''s hoping... any other ideas???

Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke often means coolant burning in the cylinders.

Is your coolant level dropping?

Does the car overheat if left to run long enough?

Get the ODBII connector functional so we can read some codes....is it a wiring issue or perhaps just a fuse?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 PM

No coolant loss, doesn''t overheat... mystery to me. Runs, but is a bit rough, especially when you hit the gas. Have had to drive it a few blks here and there the last few days, and consumes a LOT more gas than normal, and smokes lighly... white smoke, and again, smells of gas. Below zero now, and winds blowing! Will try to clean EGR when weather permits (crossing fingers). I''ll let you guys know what the result is. I know I have to get the OBD fixed as well so I can run diagnostics when/if the SES light comes on again. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

It would not be the first time a ''brand new'' sensor failed to work. Keep us posted, and Merry Christmas to you as well ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 SC1 runs rough, SES light on??