Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

2002 SC2 PS, ABS and.....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 PM
Default 2002 SC2 PS, ABS and.....?

My 2002 Saturn Sc2 has 132,000 miles on her and now she is starting to have problems. I noticed my power steering fluid was low at some point and added some prestone from Autozone. It's clear and the fluid was Amber in the resouviour. Anyhow the fluid level got worse and noticed a slite wobble from the pulley? Can I still reuse it? Ay there is fluid under the pump. I'm not even sure if the EVO component is bad? What should I check first? It could be the pump or o ring seal on the prussure line into pump right? What should I do?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:12 PM
Default Re:

Originally Posted by derf
I would begin by starting your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Thx!
I don't know how to start my own thread? It doesn't give me that option on this website?.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Default Rear drum to disc conversion.

Anybody know what is needed to convert rear drum to disc breaks? I noticed some kind of bracket above the drum plate to the left? What is that? I have a 2002 Saturn Sc2. I don't even know if I have a ABS system or not? ABS brakes are complicated. I think on my dash it has the option, but the light don't come on? What's another way to tell besides slamming on your brakes? I Love my Saturn it's all I got.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Azshay
I don't know how to start my own thread? It doesn't give me that option on this website?.
Yes, it does. Otherwise the entire forum would be one single thread, no? I'll make you one and move your posts into it. Happy holidays.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default 2002 SC2 PS, ABS and.....?

Thread created by opening Saturn 3 door coupes and hitting the huge blue bar that says "post new thread."

Don't say I never gave you anything.

This is your thread. There are many like it, but this one is yours.

Last edited by derf; 12-25-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

My 2002 Saturn Sc2 has 132,000 miles on her and now she is starting to have problems. I noticed my power steering fluid was low at some point and added some prestone from Autozone. It's clear and the fluid was Amber in the resouviour. Anyhow the fluid level got worse and noticed a slite wobble from the pulley? Can I still reuse it? Ay there is fluid under the pump. I'm not even sure if the EVO component is bad? What should I check first? It could be the pump or o ring seal on the prussure line into pump right? What should I do?
Unless someone changed the design, PS systems of that era used some variation of Automatic transmission fluid.which is usually pink red.
The reservoir that would have amber colored liquid in it that when you topped it off with fluid that might look clear would be the brake fluid reservoir.
However you're obviously talking about the PS pump/pulley/reservoir. So I have no idea what you added nor what it's supposed to be. Not saying you did anything wrong, just saying sounds odd. What does the Prestone bottle say on it (PS)?

Be sure to clean off all lines and the pump, especially the face of the pump where the shaft exits and where the hydraulic lines connect and start the vehicle and watch for signs of leakage before you take the serp belt off.

If the pulley looks like it has a wobble, remove the serpentine belt and determine if there is excessive play in the pulley.
If the pulley has play on the pump shaft, you'll need to figure out if the pully is too loose on the shaft, out of round, cockeyed on the shaft, or the shaft is no longer the right diameter.
Play in the pulley that allows the pulley to shift out of the plane where the belt travels (pulley and shaft together have play at the pump) usually indicates bearings are worn out, and the pump shaft seal is probably not far behind This may be where your fluid leak is.

I don't know your mechanical aptitude nor if you can actually source just bearings for that pump. Full pump seal kits are available, Additionally, reman pumps w and without reservoirs are also available at www.rockauto.com . Keep your reservoir cap if you replace.

While you have the belt off, check all your pulleys for excessive play

Old 12-25-2018, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Anybody know what is needed to convert rear drum to disc breaks? I noticed some kind of bracket above the drum plate to the left? What is that? I have a 2002 Saturn Sc2. I don't even know if I have a ABS system or not? ABS brakes are complicated. I think on my dash it has the option, but the light don't come on? What's another way to tell besides slamming on your brakes? I Love my Saturn it's all I got.
Drum to disc conversion: Extensively covered on Saturnfans.com, right down to the correct parking brake cable you will need based on the year of your car.

When you get your car moving up to 4 miles an hour or so, you should here an electromechanical sound from the driver's side under the hood. This is the ABS system performing a self check.
You can also open the hood and look. ABS brakes will have modulator valves between the master cylinder and the lines that run to the wheels.

2002 looks something like this

#2 being the modulator valve

Last edited by derf; 12-25-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Unless someone changed the design, PS systems of that era used some variation of Automatic transmission fluid.which is usually pink red.
The reservoir that would have amber colored liquid in it that when you topped it off with fluid that might look clear would be the brake fluid reservoir.
However you're obviously talking about the PS pump/pulley/reservoir. So I have no idea what you added nor what it's supposed to be. Not saying you did anything wrong, just saying sounds odd. What does the Prestone bottle say on it (PS)?

Be sure to clean off all lines and the pump, especially the face of the pump where the shaft exits and where the hydraulic lines connect and start the vehicle and watch for signs of leakage before you take the serp belt off.

If the pulley looks like it has a wobble, remove the serpentine belt and determine if there is excessive play in the pulley.
If the pulley has play on the pump shaft, you'll need to figure out if the pully is too loose on the shaft, out of round, cockeyed on the shaft, or the shaft is no longer the right diameter.
Play in the pulley that allows the pulley to shift out of the plane where the belt travels (pulley and shaft together have play at the pump) usually indicates bearings are worn out, and the pump shaft seal is probably not far behind This may be where your fluid leak is.

I don't know your mechanical aptitude nor if you can actually source just bearings for that pump. Full pump seal kits are available, Additionally, reman pumps w and without reservoirs are also available at www.rockauto.com . Keep your reservoir cap if you replace.

While you have the belt off, check all your pulleys for excessive play
re: Thanks deft. Marry Christmas and happy holidays to you as well. I have the Clinton book for my car, and it says to use a GM PS fluid? When I type it on Google it gives me few options?. Seems like AC Delco makes a PS fluid for GM that is Amber in Color. No where does it say ATF tho? Many places don't list the fluid. Especially Autozone and I used PRESTONE PS fluid from Autozone. I thought of using Lucas PS fluid if I get a new pump? Idk yet? Some say GM pumps ain't very particular about the fluid? Who knows? And Drum brakes looks difficult to work on? What is that bracket for? Behind (rear) and above my drum backing plate? Thanks again!..

Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Fyi the Napa branded power steering fluid we buy at work is clear and funtions the same as atf in power steering systems. Only VW and Honda used to use a hydraulic fluid.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Default Re:

Originally Posted by 02 LW300
Fyi the Napa branded power steering fluid we buy at work is clear and funtions the same as atf in power steering systems. Only VW and Honda used to use a hydraulic fluid.
@02LW300 I did check into that the Napa branded formula, it is made by Warren oil company. The AC Delco is a bit harder to find the MSDS. I know that on Amazon it says it's a light bodied mineral oil solution. The Napa is a petroleum base solution? It's kind of complex? In that case I'd much rather support AC Delco, because they work with GM witch company made my Saturn. Even tho the Japanese and many other foreign vehicle company's make better engines and designs.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC2 PS, ABS and.....?