Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

2001 SC2 Radio code problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 AM
Default 2001 SC2 Radio code problem

Iam looking foe someone who has done this personally on this exact style radio in my 2001 SC2 . Purchased the car last week and changed the battery , Previous owner does not have code, After reading a few blogs on the net I was able to retrieve the 4 digit code from holding down buttons 1 & 2, while the ignition key is in the run position while displaying the radio clock. , I then went to the local GM dealer and they supplied me with the number to call for the code using my 4 digit code that I retrieved from my radio. After calling and getting the unscrambled code I followed the instruction in the owners manual with no luck. The radio is current not in the locked mode. Experienced help would be greatly appreciated. I have supplied photos of my exact radio , thank you in advance .

Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

So if the radio is unlocked what is the problem? What do you need? If you have the factory unlock code and you entered it correctly you should be good. I am willing to help but you need to be clear.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Confused.
if the radio wasn't in lock mode, you wouldn't need to unlock it with the code...(??)

Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

When the theft-deterrent feature is armed or secure (SEC), the radio can enter the locked state if the power is removed from the radio for a long enough period or if the customer has accidentally entered the wrong number three times. An error message is displayed after every wrong entry. When the radio is locked, LOCK appears on the display and all radio functions are disabled.

Before another attempt at the correct code can be made, the radio must be On and the display must show LOCK for an hour.

After an hour, "- - - -" will appear on the display and the correct code may be entered if it is known.

You will only have three more chances to enter the code correctly before LOCK reappears.

Push the AM/FM button once the 4-digit code has been entered correctly.

If the proper code has been entered, the radio will return to the armed mode and normal operation shall return. If the wrong code is entered, the display will momentarily show an error message and then return to display "- - - -" indicating that another try at the correct code can be attempted.

So if your display is showing the dashes, the code being entered is not correct.

Oh, I don't have one of these radios.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 AM

I have posted a photo of the current status the radio it is in _ _ _ _ mode . when I enter the code from the telephone I get Err 1 , Err2 , Locked , then I turn the Key to acc for an hour to get the Locked message to return to _ _ _ _ . does any body have the exact way to put in the phone code numbers ? I have read 3 different ways none of which any work. _ . . all the posts say push numbers 2 & 3 to get the code that is in the radio , but I have to hold numbers 1 &2 to get my code , so that is telling me something is wrong with what people are printing on the net .. this is why I posted the photo of the exact radio I am working with …. so does any body have the step by step procedure that they have personaly used on this exact radio that has worked , including the exact position of the key when pushing the buttons acc , or run .. ?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

I will post from the factory service manual when I get home tonight.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:41 PM

thank you for your help in advance !!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

The YouTube video I posted the link to I believe is a radio identical to yours

Old 10-27-2018, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I am having trouble posting pictures.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default try this

Quick Reply: 2001 SC2 Radio code problem