Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1995 SC2 Window Regulator Moon Gear Teeth

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default 1995 SC2 Window Regulator Moon Gear Teeth

The driver's side window is starting to make a metallic clunking noise at the bottom of the window travel. There is also a slight hitch in the first few inches of upward movement from the full down position.

I pulled the outer door skin to find what I expected -- damaged teeth at the end of the regulator moon gear that contacts the window motor gear.
About 7 teeth are no longer "flat" their entire length -- the tips are bent outwards significantly, increasingly so in the direction of the end of the gear.

I assume this is the beginning of the regulator moon hear stripping out. Never had this happen on a vehicle so it's new for me.
I'm assuming it happens from the combination of motor gear wear, slight misalignment, and the fact that the maximum force is applied to the regulator to lift the window from the lowest point of travel as the regulator arm is furthest from parallel with the fixed arm.

Is there anything I can do to extend its life besides not putting the window down more than 3/4?

1) If I replace the motor, will it make up enough of the gap to buy it a few more years? I'm thinking the wear on the motor gear itself is minimal given that its contact with the moon gear can bend the tips of the teeth.
2) The moon gear teeth are clearly bendable but likely only a little at a time -- meaning too brittle for me to attempt to bring them back into position all at once. I take it this is a bad idea?
3) (Train of thought quasi ridiculous suggestion) Might I be able to add something to the regulator teeth where they bend to restore the teeth to approximately proper shape and length as the window motor encounters them? Like a strategically placed and shaped drop of JBWeld? No clue how to do, just a conceptualization).

I have done an exhaustive search for a replacement but the chances of finding a used one - yes they are out there-- in better shape is pretty slim, so I'm clutching at straws here.
Saturn used rivets through the attaching holes for the motor so it is a pain in the **** to swap the motor out, but since I plan to keep this vehicle I may put a motor in while it's apart (though not very difficult to access) or at least pick up a spare while they are available.

Thoughts?

Last edited by derf; 02-07-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:21 PM

I'm trying to picture what you're talking about, derf, but am having a hard time. I replaced a rivited relay on a Grand Caravan I had once. I just found some short screws with a lock washer and nut to install it with. If you have the clearance for a bolt, lock nut and washer, I'd go ahead and replace it if it were mine. I'd also try straightening the teeth on that gear. I'd probably heat them with a torch, use a ball peen hammer and a flat piece of steel to hammer them flat.

Last edited by Rubehayseed; 02-07-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's what we did w the passenger motor.

I'm surprised at the recommendation to try to straighten the teeth. Though with heat involved I have a fighting chance.

I tried to take a picture of it where you could see the bent teeth but I can't get a camera close enough to it at the right angle where you can see it.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:18 AM

That's okay, derf. Since the brain surgeries, pictures help, but NOT always. Bent is bent and I'd definitely try to straighten them if it were mine.