Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

01 SC2 intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Hello. I recently purchased my first saturn but have liked the cars since they first started making them. So I have an ''01 SC2, auto, 100k miles. Two questions I have about my car:

1) When the engine runs, it makes a low whine coming from the belt. Not a squeak, and the belt is in good condition. Is that just a normal sound for a saturn? This is my first one. I can live with it, but if it is a sign of a problem I''d rather fix it now.

2) Also I wanted to put some basic performance mods on it. I read the forums and got some ideas. First I installed an injen short ram intake. Next I had a 2.25" catback installed. I understood there might be mild low end torque loss from the catback. There was but it is perfectly livable. The car sounds good and fuel efficiency improved on both mods and noticable power over 3K RPM. It also sounds pretty cool and has a nice deep exhaust note.

I notice, however, that my computer/tranny seems confused at times. The power band really kicks in at 3K RPM but the tranny wants kick into overdrive and stay below 3K too early. Because of the diminished low end torque, overdirve has even less acceleration. On the highway it is constantly going back and forth in 3rd and 4th. Once in a while it does something strange and when I ease my foot off the accelerator the engine does a quick rev on its own. It sounds like a downshift that came too late.

Any ideas of a solution for better throttle response? Would a chip help? Can the computer be reprogrammed to make better use of the setup? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by B2theY
Would a chip help?
There are no "chips" for Saturns. The garbage you see on eBay is just that. They will nothing but diminish performance or damage the car.

Originally Posted by B2theY
Can the computer be reprogrammed to make better use of the setup?
Nope, no programming available either.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM

http://slrmotorsports.com/shop/index...duct_detail&p= 709 (Performance chip)
You say theres no performance chip, but what about this site?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM

The CHIP is pure BULLsh*t evan from that site. If you don''t believe any of the people that have been around SATURNS for the last 10-15 years then go and buy one. Maybe ask around on ALL the SATURN sites, maybe you''ll come across someone that has no clue and they''ll tell you it works. Then you can go out and buy it and tell us you gained 512hp.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Its a scam. First of all, there is no place to plug that chip into. There is no removable chip in the Saturn PCM and the chips that are in there look nothing like that.

And the ones that are modules that tap into the IAT, ECTS and TPS fool the PCM into running rich. Trouble is, Saturns already run too rich. All the modules end up doing is making a rich condition worse and waste fuel, decrease MPG, foul plugs, O2 sensors and clog the catalytic converter.

All these companies prey on people who dont know any better. These "performance chips", electric superchargers, electric turbochargers and turbonators at autozone and belong in the same catagory. Garbage.