Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

What is your take on driving and cars?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Default What is your take on driving and cars?

So, I took the Redline out earlier for a cruise. Just to appreciate it a little bit more. Made me realize where I started in the "car scene".

I was probably 18 when I started learning to do things myself. Had a friend that got me into the whole modifying thing. I was bored anyway since the hockey rink shut down.

At the time, I just had Topanga. Not knowing crap besides changing my oil, a tire, and putting gas in it.
I learned a bit more about motors, and how they worked.
That progressed into making it look nicer. So I went to new headlights, after market bulbs, and new tail lights.
She started looking better. Then that proceeded to learning to wash her better, full detail, etc.
Then came a few more little things like a new radio, speakers, shift ****, boots.

Leading up from all this, the more I went on cruises with people around town, more I read online, more work I did on my own car, I realized that it became more of a therapy.

Yes, I get annoyed, and want to blow em up at time, but at the end of the day, its my safe haven, my escape.

I know that no matter how I feel, when I get behind the wheel, ill erase all my thoughts, and just cruise. Its a wonderful feeling.

So that leads to my question for you guys, whats your story? Do you like just cruising? Do you like doing your own work?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

When I was in grad school, and very stressed out, I would take my 92SL2 out onto the county highways, of which there were many, and just drive, taking every curve at as high a speed as I could without braking. That car would walk sideways rather than squeal the stock tires. If I got in trouble, I just throttled my way out of it.

I would wander aimlessly until I came upon a stretch of road I knew well. Very well.
Dead straight for maybe 1/3 mi with a hump and drop off to a stop sign.

Pedal down. Speed shifting. Once in 5th,,,past the county jail.....it was imminent...a slow swell of acceleration.
As the front end began to walk, I knew I was in triple digits.
Then the hump, some creative non ABS breaking...motionless at the stop sign.

105 high

Nothing else mattered

Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 PM

I wish my SL1 would over steer, all I get is under steer, but that only happens taking 35 mph curves at 63mph.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:12 PM

My current SC2 is the sportiest thing I've driven in my life. I love rowing my own gears, and I love finding twisty back roads because this Saturn is just zippy enough to be fun. My driving skill is way below the absolute limits of the car. Even with all the replacement parts on it, I still need to baby it. So, we do have fun, but always in moderation.

I also just cruise to get my mind off of things. Once in Florida, I departed Tampa, went up 75, turn on 10, found myself in Jacksonville, came down 95, turned again on 4, waved to Mickey and went home. Chewed up an entire day 600 miles and a tank and a half of gas.

Last edited by Dave4422; 07-16-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

But it was worth every dime....

Old 07-17-2015, 02:07 AM

I call it smiles per gallon.
It costs me almost double to fill up the redline...and I never think twice about it.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hey do you have the boost back up on that thang?

Last edited by derf; 07-18-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:40 AM

I think he does... And I agree, they call it "smiles per gallon" for a reason on the Redlines... Only costs me about $30 to re-fill, but the need to do it every 180 miles is a little aggravating...

Old 07-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Shes boosting hard now. Ill go update that post with what I have been doing.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM

My therapy is critters. Just something about dogs and horses that will help you leave your problems for a little while. Guess my HP is just a little different form than y'all's LOL

For me, sometimes it's fun do just do a little road trip, but I'm no speed demon. At. All. Dh calls me the cruise control, and I am. I don't passenger well for most people (fine with DH 99.9% of the time), and since I got t-boned a number of years ago I'm still a bit OCD about some stuff.

I work 30 miles from home. The drive takes about 45 - 50 minutes, depending on lights. Coming home, it's very nice to get that wind-down time, a chance to regroup by myself after dealing with people all day. I guess that is the up side of a longish drive!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your take on driving and cars?