Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

The Thrill Is Gone

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Default The Thrill Is Gone

Yesterday, I went down my favorite driving road again. It's one of those roads that you don't have to be going at a dangerous speed to have fun, as it snakes through a forested area and up and down some moraines (steep valleys). However, when I did it with the Saturn, it felt more thrilling somehow. With the Saturn, I was scared about what would break, or fall off, or mashing a spongy brake pedal. I was in control with a steering wheel that was actually attached to the front wheels and a manual transmission. The feeling I had in the Saturn was more elemental and analog. Satisfaction that I was making the car do everything.

Now, with my new Honda, that feeling is gone. The feeling is almost disconnected. Yes, I can go faster because I have better brakes and more power...but everything is electronically dampened. Steering is Atari-like, suspension is firm, and the transmission is a CVT. The car is bigger, so I'm carrying more weight into corners. The car is wider so the road is a lot narrower. The tires are fuel savers so they have less grip. I have traction and stability control. The throttle is electronic, and so is the steering.

Did I enjoy the drive? Yes. Was it as thrilling? No. It has lost that sense of risk. I am surrounded by things that are designed to keep me safe, not punish me for being stupid. And while I'm not saying I like to be unsafe, a swat to the back of the head for being dumb is just as helpful once in a while.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I also remember driving my souped up Metro for 6 years. The best memory was racing someone and the surprised look when they almost lost to a Metro. The thrill is gone with 200 hp in the Saturn, just mash and go. I am getting old and like my smooth ride.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

There is a reason Saturn Freaks exist.

GM looked away just long enough during the S car's design by the unmolested version of Saturn that some shrewd engineers and other creative minds put together a tight, responsive cheaply interiored, soundproofed w styrofoam good looking car with great mpg for about 12K in the early 90's.

I test drove a 92 SL1 and heard lots of revving and felt not a lot of forward motion.

I test drove a 92 SL2 and intentionally ignored the sales dude in the back seat plugging the car and just kept driving. It was fun but the car had 3 of us.

I needed to drive it solo and see just what it could do when pushed.

I dropped them off at the dealership, got away from the highway, and proceeded to whip around every bend I could find, at 10 mph faster than I had in any other car.

No body roll
Could not squeal tires in turns---the car would be on the verge of walking
Geared nice n low for fun from every launch.

It seemed too good to be true.
I never fall for sales pitches either.

This just seemed right --- for ME. 1992 Silver SL2
Fast? No. Fun? Hell yeah.

Amazing the number of cars I could outpull from a stop light up until mid 3rd gear. When I hit 4th, the universe aligned and revving it way up high backed off many a challenger. It was stupid. Backing down from a stock Saturn. But people did.

Yeah, they missed some holes in the pistons. **** happens.

I have driven nothing but Saturns since 92. Traded in my 92 SL2 for a 97 SC2. It's out in the garage resting for the night.

Wife bought a 95 SC2 after a winter mishap. Bought a 2008 Saturn Vue XR. That thing had b a l l s with the 3.6. No punks with daddy's car passed her illegally on the right. Some had to stop abruptly to avoid curbs. Oh well.

So 24 years of driving S cars for me and counting.
You'll have to pull the steering wheel out from under my warm, pulsing hands.....

Old 07-12-2016, 08:56 AM

Hey Dave, come buy my PT Cruiser GT Turbo. It will give you a thrill, I guarantee it!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM

One of the reasons I miss the saturn. Slow car fast used to be the words I lived by lol. I do have fun in the truck, but its not the same, I miss corners. Cant keep up with those little hondas like i used to. The closest fun I had compared to the saturn was my brothers 84' 2wd toyota pickup before we cannablized it for the 4wd. That thing would hold a turn surprisingly well.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Aww, man! You guys are making me miss my Saturn... I haven't done anything other than move her around in the driveway in months... She'll still start and run, but not well at all...

*goes out to car and looks at engine parts in trunk*

I'm reasonably close to getting it running again, just need some more parts...

Old 07-14-2016, 03:25 PM

My brother had a 92 sl2, it was a great car. Automatic (he can't drive a stick to save his life) but it got great gas milage, wasn't to bad to ride in. And lasted a long time, before he killed it. I was happy with our new saturn before it became a lemon, but the difference between the old one and new one were night and day..

And I agree with Rube on the GT cruiser. Suprised alot of people when that turbo kicks in and you smoke some punk kid in his little Honda he thought was bad a**.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Yup, nothing like boost to make all the ricer kids cry, lol

Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM

For some reason, a LOT of the ricers think a fart can muffler will make their cars faster. I wonder if my GT would be any faster? LMAO

Old 07-15-2016, 09:10 AM

In 96 Valerie moved into Phoenix with a life plan and a direction to go, she brought with her a 1980 AMC AMX, one of 863 that were made that year and it was her driver. It was not long after she was here we started getting close and she also purchases a used 94 SC2 coupe.
In 2000 we started a life together and both of our worlds changed except for a couple of things. Her AMX needed a front clip due to damage from rust and it got it and she became disabled and no longer needed the SC2 but it was a pleasant car to drive for both of us. So we used it and enjoyed the fact it was a sporty little thing and in my opinion about 15hp shy. She of course thought it was perfect.
Eventually she got where she no longer could drive either of her cars, the sun beat up the SC2, faded the interior out and destroyed the paint. So I repainted it and a few years later reupholstered it only to watch the paint job I did get destroyed, Today it is getting ready for primer so it can be painted again. We have been together 16 years and that dang coupe is still here.
I dunno with only 100,000 miles on it and good tires it still feels like it corners tight. It's comfortable to get into and when driving the controls control things needed for driving rather than what gets down loaded for entertainment. It's showing it age from being parked outside and has no value at all except one thing.
When you get into it the thing is a small sports car like vehicle that will get close to 32 mpg and will carry you comfortably down the road at the state speed limit of 75 mph and then some. And when you get out of it you are generally happy. It still needs the extra 15hp for those 7% grades at 75mph with the cruise going, but Valerie doesn't think so. She just doesn't like the noise the engine makes at rpm when the transmission kicks down a gear trying to keep the speed up.
Some of the plastic cosmetics is broken and I am afraid to open the moon roof. But the car is just too much fun to own to sell it to some one else.
She has not been able to drive her car now for going on 6 years, but we will keep it for a while yet.

Quick Reply: The Thrill Is Gone