Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

It takes time to fix stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Thumbs up It takes time to fix stuff!

I finally got some time to work on the 1994 Saturn SC2. Both window motors had gone into a failure mode. This of course requires when replacing them to disassemble the inner and outer door panel. A not difficult process when a whole lot newer than this car is and one that has not sat out in the heat which averages over 100 degrees for a 3rd of the year. Since 1996. The motors ordered from Rock Auto both showed up, the proper part number and all with GM information carefully applied in all the proper places and the words "Made in China" stamped into them.
(No comments)
The windows now go up and down, and the rest of the problem is fiber glassing the door skin back together where piece broke off of it taking hold down fasteners out. That is almost complete and when done the doors will be all re-assembled. The sad part is the little cosmetic gizmos inside the car on the inside door skin are some what worse for wear now and no replacements are in sight.
A selling point when new, was all the plastic pieces that would not rust. And they didn't. I wish they were not plastic.
But the car will be back in service soon and needed.
Valeries COPD has worsened and she is now in the St. Joesph's hospital lung transplant program. It started last week with about 2 months of exhaustive testing that will if everything passes qualify her for a potential lung transplant, which if done leads to a life changing moment where you spend a lot of immediately after time returning to the Hospital for follow up testing and life time of living differently. The greatest concern is the body wanting to reject foreign objects which the lungs are, so your immune system is shut down, leaving you prone towards multiple problems you have to protect your self from because your body won't.
As the old joke is the good news is you will be able to breath and live again, the bad news is you will spend the rest of your life paying for it. The Saturn will be needed again. The concept of purchasing a new car is pretty much wishful thinking now.
Later. I have work to do!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Good to hear you've made progress, Unc. I'm sorry to hear that Valerie's COPD is worse, but at least there's hope with the lung transplant possibilty. We'll be praying for you guys.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yay! Window UP, Window DOWN, WINDOW UP, WINDOW DOWN........

Sorry to here about Val -- there is still hope. Prayers for you two....

Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM

I got the windows to go up and down, if I work it right, the odds are good I can get Valerie fixed! Later!!!!! Oh and maybe I will get my Mitchels program back too. Maybe!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

PM me on the roadblock on that and I'll try to pull something creative out of my....to help you if I can

Old 06-27-2015, 03:33 AM

The latetest up date of pretty much everything at the moment, is yesterday I installed the rear view mirrors so after vacuuming out the dust and general cleaning the Saturn is back in service. I need to find time to prep the body for paint, but that is doable now that everything runs.
Valerie on the other hand is well into the preliminary testing at St. Joesphs Hospital in preparation for lung transplant approval. This week was murder in that we had to be there at O'Dark-30 in preparation for various testing's. We is a misnomer, Valerie did. Me? I drive the car and deliver her.
However I have bits and pieces acting up from being old and decrepit so I have been tro the VA a couple of time and have to have some tests done due to the symptom of diabetic neuropathy, there appears to be some problems with blood flow to the feet. And the hurt like blazes. This needs to be taken care of so I can continue to function in a caregivers roll.
Geeze the good news never stops.
Take Care!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 PM

Good to see the car running and Valerie's tests progressing... It does suck to have to get up in the wee hours of morning though...

...and diabetic neuropathy? Man, that sucks! My grandma has the same condition, and sometimes she cries from the pain(a person who has been through two major car wrecks and hasn't seen light in a little over half a century)... I feel for ya...

Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, that type of neuropathy is brutal
hope they find some meds to ease the pain.

Keep an eye on foot sores (as I'm sure you know) -- I've known several 9 toed diabetics in my time..

good to hear about Val

Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Ask them about trying you on Lyrica for the neuropathy, Unc. I don't have diabetes, but do suffer from neuropathy from two brain surgeries. They tried me on gabapentin first and it altered my personality. Kind of Jekyll-Hyde deal. Tried the Lyrica and have been on it for 11 years now with no ill effects. It wil make you a little dizzy and sleepy when you first get on it, so be aware of that. I can also cause you to retain fluid, but that's a fair trade off for me. I take 75mg every morning and evening.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 AM

I'll tell you, all this hooey about the golden age is beginning to get on (what is left of) my nerves.
A recent Dr. visit has identified that I have a blood circulation problem in my legs leaving things prone to increased pain in my calves and possibly other things. I have lived with increasing pain in my legs for about 30 years now and up until recently blamed on the damage done to my back. But as it turns out, being unable to determine the difference between pain in my legs that hurts and differently caused pain in my legs which also hurts has led to discovering additional problems going on. All I can do at the present is to not damage things any worse as the Dr's attempt to solve what ever is happening. Thanks for the suggestion Ruby, I'll bring it up as things get sorted out. My only goal at the present is to be functional so that I can help Valerie through this point in her life. Something that up until the last couple of days did not seem to be a problem.

Quick Reply: It takes time to fix stuff!