Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

SnOctober

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 PM

whatever stuck over here was dissolved by the later rains in the night, so it was gone almost immediately. I saw some cars sunday and today with snow still on them still.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM

I hate snow. We only got enough to cause accidents. But to me it was a giant bummer. My parents were always confused. I was supposed to be born in Arizona. My daughter lives in Vegas. Every time it snows here she calls me and asks if I'm enjoying it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Haha, I remember last year the day after Christmas some of my family drove up from georgia. They made it 99.8% of the way here with my uncles lead foot, through the blizzard. I had to drive them the last .2%, since they got stuck down the street on Rt. 36 and were having alot of trouble. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. Then once the next snowstorm hit they decided to call and ask if we were enjoying it also.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

When I used to travel a lot for my company, I had occasion to be in Philadelphia just prior to a snow event. The fella I was visiting took me to lunch, and I noticed he had a pair of 10ft 2x4s hanging out of the rear of his truck. When I commented that I thought this was the wrong time of the year to do outside building, he replied that he stood those up alongside his truck when he parked on the street and it was snowing. That way, the snowplow would realize there was a vehicle there, and not just a mound of snow. Still not sure if he was pulling my leg, or what ....

Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 PM

We got a little snow this past weekend ............ in the high country.

Attached Thumbnails SnOctober-azsnowcountry-8-.jpg   SnOctober-azsnocountry-1-.jpg  

Last edited by RjION; 11-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM

That looks like fun.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
When I used to travel a lot for my company, I had occasion to be in Philadelphia just prior to a snow event. The fella I was visiting took me to lunch, and I noticed he had a pair of 10ft 2x4s hanging out of the rear of his truck. When I commented that I thought this was the wrong time of the year to do outside building, he replied that he stood those up alongside his truck when he parked on the street and it was snowing. That way, the snowplow would realize there was a vehicle there, and not just a mound of snow. Still not sure if he was pulling my leg, or what ....
I am probably 15 miles or so from there. When it snows they have a major problem. Most of the streets are one way with parking on one or both sides. But there is only enough room for one car to get by. So they can't plow snow. They have to get loaders and haul it to the river and dump it. The people aren't allowed to throw the snow from their walks into the street. When somebody digs their car out and goes to work they try and save their clean spot, but many times somebody moves the trash cans or whatever they put there and takes the spot. There have been times it ended up in shootings. So some people never move the car until the snow melts.

There isn't enough parking for all the cars. They park on the yellow painted hatch marks down the middle of the wider streets. They even double park on some streets. I could never live there.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 AM

So some people never move the car until the snow melts.
I could never live there.
Waving

Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by uncljohn
So some people never move the car until the snow melts.
I could never live there.
I wish people would do that. No one around here knows how to drive (or is smart about driving) in the snow (or the rain sometimes for that instance) and everything becomes a mess...

Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

o so true.

Although originally a Philly boy, I went to grad school in Wisconsin.
People out there know how to drive in snow --and so did I after the first winter.
Lean on gas at all times (for FWD) to keep the car pointed where you want it, downshift for brakes, never stop (keep momentum) and LEAVE ROOM.

Peeps in Philly and NJ ride up your *** like nothing's different or they drive 60 mph in their SUVs when they pass you -- but they're always in a ditch a 1/2 mile up around the bend.....

Yes I've done a few 360's in Wisconsin on messy roads going too fast -- no one's perfect--but I didn't hit anything.

Here in Joisey no one leaves you room for error and so every mistake someone makes results in an accident involving another car, a guard rail, or a ditch, or all of the above........