Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Saturn repair on hold for a couple weeks.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Saturn repair on hold for a couple weeks.

I have been building a new pump house with my grandchildren. It has two and a half walls and a roof. Two walls and the roof are plywood inside and out with insulation. The rest will be finished next weekend, we need more plywood. The two boys that are helping me are 12 and 14. They are learning to properly read a tape measure and properly mark wood for cutting. I do the cutting, they are stapling the insulation and screwing the plywood to the 2x4s. So far so good it teaches grandpa patience.
We pulled the 2000 l200 out of the shop today and backed the ski boat in. Lifted the boat off the trailer with the car hoist. Swapped the complete axle/spring and cross members with a trailer I am keeping. Let the boat down to the ground and I almost have all the bolts out of the engine assembly. It has a 370 hour wonderful engine in a rotten floor 30 year old hull. I am keeping the 350 chevy for my 68 Chevrolet pickup. The 68 has been in the extended family since new. It is a cst long bed with factory air. It was a 3/4 ton 2wd when new with a 327/ th400 456 gears. It was ordered as a camera truck and used to film the Bonanza tv series. It had to accelerate quickly to keep up with the horses. The truck now sits on a 72 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis. The 14 year old has his eyes on this truck, his mother drove it from the time she got her license until about 8 years ago. It has been sitting in my driveway since then.
Hope everyone is well.
Andy

Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 AM

Sounds like you have your hands full, Andy. It's great you're teaching your grandsons a little carpentry stuff. I don't have grandkids (thankful for that) and my son doesn't like getting his hands dirty. I do carpentry, mechanical, electrical and plumbing work for myself and have for a long time. I will do stuff for other people, but only if they ask. Maybe I need to put up a handyman sign. Oh, I do house painting too. But, only mine.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have grandkids so I have no one in the family to teach.
My dad didn't like to get his hands dirty (Bad OCD) so I had only a high school buddy to learn from.

The rest I learned as I went and needed to.

Now I live near my brother in law who teaches me alot and his friend has a full lift and a mini floor mounted lift.

So I am learning faster and faster.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Great project -

Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun and a good experience. Teach em right because we need more people their age learning how to do this type of stuff. Getting dirty is good, and you learn something new every time. Just like my family members and friends taught me. And its a huge help in alot of areas in life and you very well could save yourself buttloads of $$$. Brother and I just built shelves for the garage and got a full wall of shelves (and enough leftover material to make a few more after I clean out mine and my brothers stockpiles of parts) for under $150.

This makes me very happy that people are teaching the kids after me how to work and instill a work ethic that will benefit them the rest of their lives. Let them get their hands in that motor, theyll learn so much. That truck sounds like its gonna be beautiful when its done. Can we see pictures?