Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Recommendations for a good all around tablet at a reasonable price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Default Recommendations for a good all around tablet at a reasonable price?

So, I'm starting to have problems with my tablet, to the point that when taxes come out, I'm probably going to update/upgrade...

I'm currently running a first gen iPad mini(32GB), and am running into the random resetting all the time... Sometimes, like today, I get several hours of normal operation without issue, and sometimes, I can't get 60 seconds, or even 20! That being said, I'm a little lost without my tablet, so restoring functionality is pretty big... Any help/opinions are welcome!

Current- 1G iPad mini 32GB, iOS 7.0.4(scared to go to 8 due to bugs and such)
Pros- so far, has worked great, decent battery life, good durability...

Cons- memory can't be expanded, no USB port other than Lightning port

Basically, I'm looking for something comparable to what I have, but maybe not Apple, if this resetting problem is as widespread as I have read into... But I haven't got a computer that I call my own, my tablet is it... I'm working on backing up my music collection(1700 songs or so) on a friends laptop and then onto an iPod of some sort(due to formatting)... For that reason, I considered a Surface, as they can essentially function as a tablet or a PC... But I'm not looking to spend $600 on a tablet either...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 AM

Derf will probably jump all over this one. He loves that stuff. I don't have a frigging clue. I still use a desktop.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Derf will in fact jump over this one as unfortunately tablets are not his thing. This can be corroborated by derf's wife who received one for Christmas and does not like it even though I listened to all her requirements.

Exceptionally easy to overbuy for your needs.

FYI if you can get your hands on an iPod you should be able to "enable disk usage" or something like that and use the empty space on the iPod just like a hard drive. At least you could for the iPod classic.....

Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 AM

I miss my old iPod Classic. The disk on it crashed or something, lost all my data, didn't want to take new back on, I gave it away instead of sending it to apple for repair... I replaced it with one of those stupid, 1"by 1" "Nano"s... It had enough memory and was $100 cheaper, but I wish I would have sprung and got another classic...

Actually it's very tempting to get a desktop unit built, and just use an HDMI put to my 50 inch TV, that way I can manage an iPod, and do computer like stuff(such as forum surfing), and get a cheap tablet for when I'm mobile... I thought about a Galaxy Tab S, but I've not had much experience with Android OS products...

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 01-20-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 AM

Well, I'm definitely NOT a tech person and most of our stuff is old. We have a desktop still on XP, and we have a little netbook that is also on XP. We use that to run Netflix etc. on our tv.

Just before Christmas, I bought a little RCA tablet with the keyboard case. A friend has the 10" variety and loves it - she got hers when her laptop was in the shop and she had to get online for classes. I got the 7" variety to be a replacement mainly for my Nook that had been having issues. I'm quite pleased with the little feller, but the 10" one would be more up your alley with more memory etc. They run on Android. They are obviously pretty easy to use since I can do stuff on it. They can have an SD card thingy to expand memory, up to 32G more space I believe.

Anyways, check out the RCA tablets if for nothing else than comparison. The 10" one you can get from wallyworldonline probably around $150-ish with the keyboard (a must in my mind even if you don't always use it).

Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 AM

After having a few tablets including an iPad4, I can only recommend a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition, Note S, or Note Pro.......They are not cheap, but you'll never use a computer again so you'll never spend money on one again. While owning the iPad4 I would have never ever said that. I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 inch "2014 Edition" the thing is simply outstanding...my computer is packed away and we use nothing but our gNotes...yep my Wife has one also.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:17 PM

I just looked at the Tab4 actually, and it looked nice. I'm not afraid to spend $3-400 or so, as my iPad mini was $429 when I bought it...

Any big performance difference between the Tab4 and the Note 2014?

Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Just about everything including multitasking is better on the units listed in the Rj's post. It all comes down to. Do you want a TOY or a TOOL.

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-22-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:15 PM

I have never tried the Note, but the Surface is very nice. Has 1 usb port and 1 mini HDMI so you can play movies on a projector in a tent when you get deployed to Africa.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Mini USB can upload, download pictures, video's, and get a wireless keyboard for less than $35 bucks if you want it. Keyboard, I don't want it or need it, may just as well have small laptop.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a good all around tablet at a reasonable price?