Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Recommendations for a beater car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Default Recommendations for a beater car?

So, I've been trying to sell the SL1 for a while now, and maybe have a couple of interested folk... If they buy it, I will have a little(and I do mean little) of money to get a winter beater with...basically I am looking at something that runs and drives and is fairly reliable, but something that if I slap a guardrail in the snow, I won't wanna cry(like I would with my ranger) and if the engine dies, I will have no remorse about dropping the fuel tank, pulling the wheels, and crushing it(unlike with my current s series)I'm looking in the triple digit price range(under a grand), so we all know it's pretty much a lottery... I've seen a couple s series cars, a few GM w-body cars, tercels, corollas, cavaliers, a few S-10s and one ranger...

Anybody have any recommended cars for way under a grand?

Note that I resolve that if my s-car doesn't sell in another couple weeks or so, it's getting an engine(or at least new bearings in the current one), so the question might become invalid...

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 08-30-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:38 PM

If you can find an old Dodge Spirit or Plymouth Acclaim with the 2.5 four cylinder, those sum beechs will run forever. Good gas mileage and go quite well in the snow. How do I know? I've owned two of them in the past and am currently looking for one for my daughter. I found one, but it has that aggravating 3.0 V-6 in it and I hate that engine.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM

I haven't seen any of those for sale at all recently... That's an interesting idea though...

Old 09-06-2014, 10:34 PM

Toyota's are popular and probably are most available in any price ranges simply because so many of them are purchased.
As a winter salt car my guideline simply is cosmetics. If they look good they probably are or have been taken care of.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 AM

Geo Prizm is basically a Toyota Corolla and a hell of a lot cheaper to buy.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM

You are right, I guess that is something that is a bit obscure, the Pontiac vibe is related too. But the bottom line still is if all you are looking for is a winter car, something that a lot were made of is probably better off trying to find an inexpensive used one of and have it be in good shape is going to be better odds. If there is a retirement community around where you live checking with local news ads for used cars is no a bad place to be aware of.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM

I say Charlie will be nice and donate his car to you.

ok, done whoring this thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:05 PM

He wouldn't want the junk I drive, Billy. I'm sure he'd happily accept that Redline of yours, though.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Any of the late Cavalier's with the ecotec powertrain. Any Colbalt with the same powertrain.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:42 AM

pshhh, redline, who wants those these days?

and I agree, cavaliers and cobalts with the ecotec. The cavys are A LOT cheaper though.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a beater car?