Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

My computer is still out getting repaired

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Thumbs up My computer is still out getting repaired

This has taken longer than expected getting a 12 year old computer back up and running on XP with the capability of running all the right software. Thanks for the phone calls, it was appreciated. (sent from a borrowed computer today). I should be up and running in a couple of weeks. Go paperless they say! Yuh!
Hope all had a happy thanksgiving

Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Good to hear from you Unc. I was thinking about calling you again to see what was up, but you took care of that, so thanks!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

While you're at it, have your PC guy throw in a RAID controller card and an extra hard drive and run it as RAID 1 (mirroring) so that if one of the hard drives goes bad you have a live spare to keep you up and running. I know you had some motherboard issues too and that is no fun but at least you'll have a real time hot spare as far as the OS/Apps go.

I didn't think to suggest this on the phone either: a program called VMware. It allows you to run multiple OS's inside a host OS at the same time. For example, you could run a Windows 8.1 PC as the base, then configure VMware to run an instance of XP into which your software is loaded. Of course if you don't have the install disks this will not work out for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 PM

Derf, mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry.....
Mother's gonna make all your nightmares come true....
Mother's gonna put all her fears into you......

Old 12-05-2014, 07:24 AM

Okay, that's enough. Obviously we're both fans of the Pink! LOL

Old 12-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Tech stuff makes me want to tear my hair out. I'd go nuts without my 'puter, so we do have a netbook as backup. Both are old, on XP. Our router's wifi crapped out on us, going to see if spare from a friend works. Fortunately we have the regular modem/hard wire stuff and don't depend completely on wireless!

I'm making the jump into this decade and ordered an (on sale) RCA tablet last night - friend has the 10" version (got it when her 'puter had to go to the dr) so she could get online for her classes, and I've ordered the 7" version to replace my Nook...and do whatever else you do on them. Wish me luck, it could be traumatic!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 PM

XP is no longer supported, you may never get it to work correctly.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 AM

Got a new wifi and all is well. Nook restored and seems to be happy again. Waiting on tablet to get in - and we'll see what kind of fun it gives me Sooner or later, I know we'll have to upgrade, I'm waiting for the next Windows OS since there was so many issues with 8 that I heard of. Anyone got 8 on a desktop and what do you think of it?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

have 8.1 on a laptop (non touchscreen). If you can deal with making shortcuts to your programs instead of accessing them from the start menu, then you only have to venture into the messed up part 5 or six times. I use the desktop mode exclusively and I have no issues yet.

NE SURE TO READ THE CUSTOMER REVIEWS at amazon, the seller's website, and google the model you plan to buy. Some have had wireless connectivity issues but thst's a wireless card driver issue not a windows issue. I just ordered a 2 in 1 detachable tablet for my wife for christmas. I had another one all spec'd out, went to read the customer reviews, found some nasty stuff repeatedly mentioned, and found a different model by a different manufacturer with better reviews. Yes it cost more

Quick Reply: My computer is still out getting repaired