Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Let me tell ya guys...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Yes, they are... I just couldn't kill my old 2.0(2.3 with smaller piston)... It still ran when I sold the truck it was in... Only thing wrong with it was the carb...

Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 PM

So, I found a car... Or I should say, a guy was selling two for $800 each, and I get to pick between the two tomorrow, I already put a deposit down and looked at them, but i couldn't drive them tonight...

Option one: 97-99 (not 100% on the year but it's got the second gen dash and a digital odometer)Saturn SL single cam/5 speed... He claims 110k, but didn't have a key handy to start it and read the digital odo... One fender is a different color, but otherwise everything is there... Interior is a little messed up, but is all there... Small power steering leak(been sitting about a week and a spot about the size of a phone screen,if you have a modern smartphone like the GS4/i5, etc)... Will need tires in a few months, but plenty good enough to pass inspection...

Option two: 1995 Ford Taurus, 3.0(Vulcan) v6, automatic... One owner, 122k, zero rust, new tires, great overall condition except a pin hole in the trans cooler line which will be repaired in the morning before I go back up there, the guy is a mechanic/tow truck driver... Hooked up a battery(had new one on charge in garage, but not ready yet) and it cranked for about 2.5 seconds, and then fired up and idled really sweet, but sprayed trans fluid from its pin hole... This one was really friggin' clean, not beat up at all, paint was even in good shape...

The dilemma- the ford looks really good, and seemed good, and seems to need nothing, but everyone knows that Ford automatics from the 90s are junk, the Taurus trans is no exception, and the line had been ruptured, who knows if it had been driven with that leak before he got it...

And the Saturn is a little beaten up, but if it isn't knocking or anything, they are exceptionally reliable, especially with the manual trans, and we all know, a single cam manual trans Saturn will use far less fuel than a Vulcan/auto Taurus...

Advice?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:11 AM

I think I'd go with the Saturn if it runs out good for you tomorrow. It's a little harder to hide some issues with a standard tranny (idle stuff, rough running) when you can just push in the clutch and listen. A friend of ours had a 95 Taurus (I think it was the last year of the more squared body style?) and really liked the car, but I think his criteria was not the same as yours. They had the car for a pretty good while and then it went to the ex in the divorce. No idea what happened after that. It's hard to compare the 2, like apples and peanuts, so go with your gut.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 AM

It's gonna be a tough decision for sure... The Saturn is what I really want, but it needs a little work to be perfect, and while the Ford isn't exactly what I want, it appears to be in nearly perfect running order, and looks great. I could probably drive it around with a for sale sign in it and double or triple my investment. Literally, my only two issues with the car, are the longevity of its automatic tranny(and the fact that I would rather drive stick) and it's fuel mileage(likely not much better than my ranger...

Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 AM

So, I ended up driving home in the Ford. I looked at the Saturn in the light and it was more ragged out than I had previously thought... Getting the other one home was interesting nonetheless... When we first went to move it(him driving), the brakes didn't work(I guess from sitting so long), but they came back on their own in a mile or so(he drove it with the e-brake)... I gotta check for a popped fuse, cause the radio and dome light don't work, but that's fine... And it also has a shake at highway speed, but it feels like the tires need balanced, it drives fine otherwise. I didn't see myself liking it, but strangely, I do...

I will post pics as soon as I get them, right now, I gotta get it legal...

Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Well, congrats on the purchase, hopefully all the little issues are easy fixes. I do see a lot of the older Tauruses (Taurii?) around, but I do have to agree with you on the Ford automatic trannys. We had both a '91 F250 and a '94 E150 that had transmission issues, but of course that's for trucks - still, I'm leery of their automatics since then. May you be one of the lucky ones that has no issues!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Congrats on the purchase!!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I don't see me having issues with this one, it runs and drives great, other than the shake at highway speed... Filled it up today from about a quarter tank, cost me $29.xx... Gotta love gas at $2.99 a gal...

Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM

its 2.76 here!

Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM

It's a 95 Taurus GL, Vulcan, AX4s automatic trans, power everything... One owner,and no rust other than on the tranny line, and new tires... Runs and drives excellent, other than a little noise over bumps, and a shake at highway speed...

Yes, the mileage is actual...

Name:  imagejpg1_zps2aec77cb.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  imagejpg2_zps27788ba6.jpg
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  imagejpg3_zps0147c4e3.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

Quick Reply: Let me tell ya guys...