Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Greta Van Fleet

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default Greta Van Fleet

For the elder statesmen among us...
Listen all the way through.
His voice grows on you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjLrC...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-14-2021, 07:55 AM

I've been listening to these guys for a few years, derf. Where have you been? Touted as the next Led Zeppelin!! My son put me on to them. The wife can't stand them! LOL

Old 11-14-2021, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I've been listening since their EP came out.
I was waiting to see how they were going to develop... They have their own sound, although if you are led Zeppelin aficionado, it is undeniable that the lead guitarist tends to use the same minor third chord relations as Jimmy Page did. In reality there are only so many chord progressions that truly drive rock and roll at least back in the day.

Grunge broke out of that and made it clear there are no limitations.

But I digress.

Have her listen to the latest album of wbich this was probably the best song. Make her listen to the whole album. A lot of people object to the singer's high grating vocal attack, but if you listen to the albums in order, he does it less and less and is learning to tailor his voice expression and volume to each song.

I have been listening to these guys mostly uninterrupted for the last 4 months as they have become my go-to band when I do my technical writing. Rage against the machine is another. So is the who. Can't figure that one out. The song LaGrange by ZZ top has taken on a special place in my heart. I've always liked it but now when I listen on headphones I really hear the rimshot patterns and how Billy gibbons expresses the lyrics at the beginning.

But again I digress

Heyl I could digress for days, but unfortunately the rest of my life requires attention. Maybe some other week.

GVFs lead guitarist is improving but from watching several live videos he cannot look at the crowd. I think he has stage fright issues. He is either looking at the fretboard, off to the left, or off to the right at the lead singer. They need to work on their stage presence because he just stands still and I think that is part of the whole stage fright thing. He does not make mistakes so he's not completely unhinged but without him being a bit more physically active, just having the lead singer running around is not enough.

But I don't digress

Peace out

Last edited by derf; 11-14-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:47 AM

I can't make my wife listen to anything, derf. You know that. I can't even get her to listen to good advice or logic and reason. LOL I won't dissect the band, I'll just keep listening to them. Feel free to digress as much as you need to buddy. Head Like A Hole is one of my all time favorite tunes if you like Nine Inch Nails, btw.

Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 PM

105.1 (forget their call name) started playing their stuff back in late 2015. They must have played Highway Tune the night before I heard 105.1 play that song; because they were still getting tweets and phone calls asking when Led Zeppelin released that new song?LOL At first Josh and Plant sounded the same(ish); but as I heard more of their stuff, their similarities became fewer. Still a great group though!

Old 11-15-2021, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

In no matter do they deny the influence of led Zeppelin on their band. His voice was compared to Robert plant because he sings in the same upper octaves which is rare for male singers. And a lot of the vocal fill consisted of Mama, baby, etc. and the vocal ramps that plant was known for.

But the lead singer indeed has defined his own style as the music has become more well refined and deeper. Should also note that it is quite rare to have a speaking voice that is several octaves lower than The Sweet spot of your singing voice. And from the power behind it he is most definitely not singing falsetto.