Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Denton, TX Saturn owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Default Denton, TX Saturn owners

I would like to find Saturn owners in Denton, TX.
Where do you take your cars for repair?
Do you have a mechanic who makes house calls?
Is it getting harder to find a mechanic to work on your car?

Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Any forum members in TX nearby that can help a woman out?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 AM

You may just have to start calling some shops and (shudder) GM dealerships to see if they have "technicians" that are familiar with the Saturns. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 AM

It is in general harder to find a mechanic that is in essence exactly that! A mechanic. An independent self operator, not an employee of a tire store. Having done that type of work for my self and at age 74 not sure what I would do if I had to find one. A GM dealer that advertises the ability to work on a Saturn is going to be expensive no matter how that is addressed. A good mechanic? look in the yellow pages of your phone book and make phone calls. You may even find one on the internet. But the chain tire stores that advertise repairs are rarely a competent source of good mechanical repairs. Sorry fellows for dissing those that might be good, the bad ones have turned me off on your type of store.
Go to an auto parts store, O'Riely, NAPA, CARQUEST or others and ask the counter people if they have a recommendation might be the best chance. Try to ask the owner or manager rather than the counter person present when you walk in.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed, honest, true "mechanics" are becoming harder to find.

And those that have worked on and understand Saturns (esp S cars) is even harder.

Go to a shop that's not familiar w S series saturns and their quirks and you can end up with a runaway bill, a whole bunch of new sensors, and no solution to the problem you brought it in for.

GM Authorized Saturn Service Centers may have at one time in 2010 had a pseudo trained Saturn "tech" on board, but that is different than the former Saturn tech who worked for Saturn for 19 years and can diagnose issues by sound with his eyes closed without being told the issue.

Some GM dealerships are now actually refusing to work on Saturns, period. My guess is lack of OEM and aftermarket parts availability compounded by complete lack of knowledge/experience in the tech area.

1) Kill your brand.
2) Make sure the remains die off ASAP by refusing to service your own brand.

Sounds like a business model constructed by a 4 year old after waking from a bad nap.

No wonder I have a 2014 Ford Escape in my driveway.

First non- Saturn since 1992.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 PM

The internet is a good source for figuring out who to go to. Im sure you can rind reviews for mechanics in your area somewhere, so you can weed out the guys that throw parts at problems and real mechanic that knows how to diagnose. Even if they are not intimately familiar with the car if they care and actually do a little research while diagnosing they will be fine.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:29 AM

Ten days and no replies. One time user?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by derf

No wonder I have a 2014 Ford Escape in my driveway.

First non- Saturn since 1992.
I guess I can't say 1st non-Saturn 'cause for me, the 94 has been paid for, for a long time and kept on for a variety of reasons. Most of them directly related to liking the silly car.
Having to replace my T&C in a hurry after the accident I ended up with a 2015 Dodge Caravan which is full of the latest technology. And the first thing noticed? The Automatic transmission (electronic controlled of course) with a performance and economy button that starts the transmission out in a higher gear when set on economy and either short shifts or skips shifts to keep engine rpm down.
Funny! The same button is on the consul of my 94 and it works the same way.
I've got my Saturn where I can work on it everyday to wet set sand the body for prep for primer.
Now after 22 years it is the plastic parts that are giving the most problem. Heat and UV has caused them to dry out and be brittle or distort and no longer function. What was a great design to beat rust, itself was a poor material to with stand heat and UV.
And those familiar with AMC and the plastic valve cover that leaked like a sieve almost before the warrantee ran out, the plastic cover on the 2.6L V6 under the hood of my caravan hides all the danged plastic used on the top of the engine that lives under the hood. Almost the entire front and top of the engine is a large black plastic housing serving as the portion of the engine that holds the oil filter, the top of the oil pump, an intake manifold and other misc. parts. Frankly it's ugly and I am sure as time passes a source of oil leaks, but time will tell.
But to give credit where credit is due, it features variable cam shaft technology, has almost twice the HP and gets slightly better gas mileage in town pulling a car that weighs more than the T&C did. I don't know what it will do on the open road, but I am growing to like the thing.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I have been working w her via daily PMs -- she is not a 1 timer. And is new to forums.
No bashing of Violet, please

Old 06-21-2016, 01:56 PM

I'm not bashing. I didn't know about the PM's. Sheesh! You could warn someone. LOL

Quick Reply: Denton, TX Saturn owners