Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Dang! I had to add some oil today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Default Dang! I had to add some oil today!

Which taught me that I can not become complacent because it did not need oil.
I bought a new Chrysler T&C in December 2007 and drove it home with the Title in my pocket and a stern caution form the service department that I MUST use 5W20 weight oil OR ELSE and NOT SYNTHETICS.!! it was emphasized, so the very first oil change realizing here in Phoenix it was over 100 degrees already and not the 5 degrees below zero that the REQUIRES the light weight oil.
I put the car on a 12,000 miles frequency of every 3000 miles, change the filter and add a quart of oil and at 12,000 miles change the oil and filter. This using Mobile 1 synthetic 15W50. Monitoring that it was not using oil I got into the habit of not checking it and low and behold, 108,000 miles and some 8 years later I started the thing this morning and the lifters clattered. So I checked the oil and it was down a quart and a half. Which says that after 12,000 miles since the last change, it used a quart and a half. Dang. That means I need to start paying attention again. I have put 10,000 miles on it since the last full oil change and I can not remember the last time I checked the oil. I guess I have to pay attention now. I am planning to drive this some 300,000 miles and see no reason why it won't run that long as long as I ---- don't become complacent again and don't bother checking the oil between changes.
My Saturn? Still needs the passenger side window motor installed, it is on my bench in my round tuit file and at 115,000 miles, using dinosaur oil changed every 3000 miles and a 20W50 weight. Still doesn't use oil
But other than needing a paint job (also on my round tuit list) and the windshield wipers have quit working which makes me think the switch contact need cleaning is still a satisfactory car to drive.
Have a nice day!

Old 05-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Unc! You're still out there!

Was getting worried.

Sorry about your (oil) loss.

Ever get that Mitchell's thing up n running?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM

No, I am not sure that it will be able to get up ad running. That to me was really handy, it was like having my own personal library on repairing vehicles with. It turns out that it was not only registered to a business (no longer there) but also to a computer which is no longer functional. The business was probably something that could be gotten around, but the computer looks like it probably will not work again. Time will tell.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

has your computer guy tried duplicating all the registry entries from the old machine? Or is that hard drive absolutely dead dead won't work even if I try the "several hours in a freezer" trick?

If you can't get at the old drive's registry anymore (just to copy it) might you find another user of the program and ask them to send you a copy of their registry and let your computer guy work some magic?

If it's calculating a unique checksum and storing it to the registry, it's probably only doing it once, so you might be able to fool it if you prepopulate that registry key with what it wants to see.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:54 AM

Thanks Derf, I'll forward this to Mike.
I have an extensive hard copy file collected over the years that I have probably enjoyed a lot more than it makes sense to, but that dang soft ware program was just handy.
A couple of months back I pulled a hat trick on adjusting the timing for a 1935 Ford V8. A procedure that had to be done not with a timing light, but by placing the distributor on a "Sun" machine. The big huge piece of equipment often found in a Service Station that not only sold Gasoline but actually serviced your cars when they were broken.
The timing was adjusted by removing the distributor off of the engine and adjusting the location of the points with in the distributor body. Something my 1935 Motors Manual instructed one to do by using two small 6 inch scales to line up some index marks on the body of the distributor.
Another well documented reason why if you are going to drive an old vehicle or one that is no longer in production such as a Zip or a Saturn, it pays to buy a service manual that covers one. (For those who might not know, a Zip was manufactured in Davenport Iowa)
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Z...tm%3B422%3B578