New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Whassup Saturn Lovers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Talking Whassup Saturn Lovers!

Hey. New member but have been lurking for quite some time.

The DH and I are proud owners of a 2008 Saturn VUE XR (purchased used in 2012 with 45K miles on it). Suffered through the dreaded Wave Plate Transmission Failure, but, to their credit, GM paid us back every penny and thus far it's been driving like a dream. Getting ready to replace the throttle body on this puppy (it's had the same one all these years) as well as some planned mods. I'll be rooting around in these forums real soon.

Thanks for having me.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, I believe Derf the other Mod has had one of those models.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

I went through the 35R waveplate joke at 98K on an extended 100K warranty.
I don't know if they revised the coverage along the way, but now you have to lose 3 5 and R (ALL THREE) or it's not covered. 2/3 rds broken for the same reason is not enough to qualify. What a joke.

Loved the way this vehicle drove, and the power seemed quite sufficient when you needed it.
My wife regularly ran sporty little "gonna pass you on the right cause my lane is ending" jerks to dead stops -- of their own volition. All she did was drive straight.

This was a wonderfully executed horrifically executed GM masterpiece. The vehicle already existed as an Opel whatever, is now the Chevy Captiva, and they still managed to screw it up.
My biggest concerns were realized AFTER it was totaled on a 5mph bump on an onramp:

1) Brake lines corrode from the inside out. Either has to do with what they are made of, coated internally with, or the fluid used, or a combination. But to me, this doesn't happen 5 or 6 years after the vehicle leaves the plant.
2) Eventually, brake fluid does not properly drain/flow back from all of the calipers, causing the brake pads to remain under pressure against the rotor. Smoking, warped rotors, melted pads, even fires generated by the immense heat created. More importantly, a safety issue since you don't know when this is occurring until you take your foot off the brake and try to accelerate. Three wheels act normally, the fourth is dragging in speed.
Bet the vehicle doesn't go straight.

The Captiva sells much better than the Vue did. Because it says Chevy on it. Same vehicle, same problems.

Save your mod money for a downpayment on something else. I doubt there is much aftermarket support anyway unless one has developed for the Captiva. If you didn't get the 3.6L V6, go out and find a low mileage freshly junked one and swap it -- you'll get more enhancement in performance that way than piecemealing it

I've been driving Saturn S cars since 1992. I still drive a 97 SC2 as my DD, and I drove most of the flat spots off of the tires of the 95 SC2 this past weekend.
Nothing but S cars for 25 years running. So don't think I'm a Saturn hater.
The 2nd gen Vues have some serious issues, the brakes being the most concerning in my mind. Otherwise they kick ***.