New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Retired and tinkering...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Post Retired and tinkering...

I have been retired for several years. I now maintain both my cars plus those of my 4 kids. My experience come from growing up on a farm down in Alabama during the 60s as well as always tinkering -- trying to "soup up" -- my own cars during that period.

I have found the use of online forums like this, as well as youtube, invaluable. Its amazing how many folks will take the time to help you and how many have taken the time to thoroughly document procedures for repairs and replacements.

Sometimes I complete repairs by following the detailed instructions and when done everything works and I don't have a clue what I did.

I won't list all of the cars here, just the Saturn.

1995 Saturn SL1 Sedan with [currently] 116,000 miles.
  • 2 air bags
  • cruise control
  • tilt steering
  • anti-lock brakes <<==== 9-28-2013 - Just found out that it does not have anti-lock brakes.
  • AM/FM Stereo w/ Cassette
  • cloth seats
  • bucket seats
  • power windows
  • power door locks with remote FOB control
  • power mirrors
  • alloy wheels
  • rear defrost
  • cup holder
  • power outlet
  • tachometer
  • air conditioning

Between June 23 and July 7th, 2012 -- 97,000…
  1. Replaced all 4 strut assemblies with new Monroe ones.
  2. Replaced jack retaining bolt in spare tire compartment
  3. Removed and cleaned a very dirty throttle body and reinstalled it on a new gasket.
  4. Inspected the vacuum lines. Replaced the two PCV-related ones.
  5. Replaced the thermostat and O ring.
  6. Installed 4 new (NKG) spark plugs gapped to .040 and a new set of resistive wires.
  7. Replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.
  8. Replaced the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.
  9. Replaced the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve.
  10. Removed, cleaned and replaced the EGR valve.
  11. Replaced the Radio/Cassette player with new Pioneer CD Receiver.

Between September 26th and September 28th, 2013 – 116,000 miles…
  1. New OEM-type PCV.
  2. Changed transmission fluid twice (Mobil 1 Synthetic) and filter (Wix). Cleaned magnet.
  3. Top-end cleaning with Seafoam. Make sure you're in the middle of nowhere or a wind storm when you do this.
  4. Top-end (pistons & rings) soak (24 hours) with MMO followed by oil & filter change.
  5. Replaced both front CV driveshafts
  6. Replaced engine mount (OEM), tranny mount and both torque struts (Anchor)

Have a rattle that is on the top left of the engine. Could be the serpentine belt tensioner & pulley or the timing chain tensioner guide block.
Update: Well I was close proximity-wise. It was the alternator bearing going out. Man, what a bear to get that thing out and back in -- almost no room to work with.

Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 11-25-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding info about the car...
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Hello Howard welcome to our forum. We have a few semi retired and retired guys on the site, and a few that may retire before long.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Welcome to the forum, Howard. I'm retired by disability, not by choice. I'm a southern man, by birth and won't ever leave the south. I was raised to treat people the way you want to be treated. You help folks if you're in a position to help, and if you can't, you assist them in finding someone that can.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned

Howard, welcome aboard ....

Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Hello Howard. Your Saturn sounds like mine, but I just checked the driveway and it is still there. Yes, forums of this nature tend to keep one occupied when retired. Not sure why it is as enjoyable as it is but it is what it is and fun to be part of it.
Welcome

Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Welcome to the Saturn Forum...........thinking I might retire myself, or at least cut back.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM

@RjION: I've been thinking about going back to work in order to reduce my workload.

...not really. But I do seem to be busier than ever...