New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

new today

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 05:41 PM
Default new today

Ok so I am new , but I have been following this forum for a couple years,
I'm in Kansas city Missouri
Its hot here right now
I charged my A/C about 3 weeks ago, apparently too much any ways it was working fine until this past Saturday.
I have a 2000 Saturn SL2
So I'm coming back from a 3 hour drive, hit a narly bump in the road A/C started acting funny but was still Ice cold later that day, no A/C
released extra pressure today but still no go
some one please help!

Old 07-19-2021, 09:17 PM

Sounds like the compressor is on its way out the door or you have a leak somewhere

Old 07-20-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DropDead
Sounds like the compressor is on its way out the door or you have a leak somewhere
thanks, its fully charged so guess I'll be buying a compressor

Old 07-20-2021, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Does compressor clutch engage when you turn on the AC with the switch inside the vehicle?

Most systems have a combination over pressure/under pressure switch installed in one of the metal lines of the system. They will keep the compressor clutch from engaging if the pressure exceeds or drops below defined values. What pressures are we talking about for high and low side with the system not running? You may have just tripped the high pressure switch. Need to know the actual values to take an educated guess.

Check the AC relay in the underhood junction box. With the vehicle off, pull the relay and see if the contacts have corrosion on them. Insert and remove the relay about 10 times to sweep any corrosion off the contacts of the relay and the sockets into which they connect in the fuse box. Start the car and see if the behavior is any different.

For most vehicles, the relay enables a signal at 12 volts to reach the compressor and engage the AC clutch. You can check at the end of the connector where it meets the compressor if you are getting 12 volts relative to chassis ground when the switch is turned on in the vehicle.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Does compressor clutch engage when you turn on the AC with the switch inside the vehicle?

Most systems have a combination over pressure/under pressure switch installed in one of the metal lines of the system. They will keep the compressor clutch from engaging if the pressure exceeds or drops below defined values. What pressures are we talking about for high and low side with the system not running? You may have just tripped the high pressure switch. Need to know the actual values to take an educated guess.

Check the AC relay in the underhood junction box. With the vehicle off, pull the relay and see if the contacts have corrosion on them. Insert and remove the relay about 10 times to sweep any corrosion off the contacts of the relay and the sockets into which they connect in the fuse box. Start the car and see if the behavior is any different.

For most vehicles, the relay enables a signal at 12 volts to reach the compressor and engage the AC clutch. You can check at the end of the connector where it meets the compressor if you are getting 12 volts relative to chassis ground when the switch is turned on in the vehicle.
I will check these today, so the pressure was in the red when I checked it so I released some if the pressure and it went to the middle of the green . Sorry it's not #'s . Also relay switch looks fine no corrosion.

Last edited by cleaning2008; 07-22-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Is the AC clutch compressor engaging? If it is not engaging, then your compressor is not running and not trying to compress. If you are measuring only one port then it must be the low side port. The colors mean different things depending on whether the system is running or not meaning the compressor clutch is engaged and the compressor is turning. There are expected pressures for when the system is working properly, expected pressures for when the system is not working properly, and expected pressures for when the system is sitting idle.

Please make your readings with the compressor clutch engaged with compressor running and with everything off and at rest. We may be able to get a guess at whether the system is within a pressure range that the compressor will operate.

But we need to know under what conditions your measurement is being made

Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Is the AC clutch compressor engaging? If it is not engaging, then your compressor is not running and not trying to compress. If you are measuring only one port then it must be the low side port. The colors mean different things depending on whether the system is running or not meaning the compressor clutch is engaged and the compressor is turning. There are expected pressures for when the system is working properly, expected pressures for when the system is not working properly, and expected pressures for when the system is sitting idle.

Please make your readings with the compressor clutch engaged with compressor running and with everything off and at rest. We may be able to get a guess at whether the system is within a pressure range that the compressor will operate.

But we need to know under what conditions your measurement is being made
I will do that as soon as I'm off work it'll be a couple of hours. And let you know.
So exactly how do you tell if clutch is engagingOr not (I'm a lady with no a/c experience)
I know basics so my bad. But I'm learning and love my Saturn SL2
🙂🙃

Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 AM

Found a bare wire repaired that, clutch and compressors are engaging
with car off it shows in the green and then also in the green. I am doing low end testing .

Old 07-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well,

Now you are a lady with some AC experience 🙂.
Can you please post two pictures of the the reading on the gauge? One with the car not running, the second with the car running and the AC engaged.

Thanks.

Sorry if I have been coming off as an ***, obnoxious, impatient, etc. Been in a lot of pain with a chronic condition while trying to find a job which I actually did. Alot of stress. None of which is your fault.

And I am the things I mentioned at the beginning of the last paragraph. Just not keeping them in check lately.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

To post a picture, start a reply, then look in the toolbar above where you type. Click on the icon of the picture. It is next to the paper clip.

Click on from device, then navigate to your picture and select. I think you can only select one at a time so repeat the process for the second picture. Then click upload. They will appear after the last text you typed before you hit the picture button so please describe which picture is which before you post the pictures themselves into the thread.

Quick Reply: new today