New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Saturn L100 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Default New Saturn L100 owner

Hey all,

I'm new to the site with a 2002 L100 2.2L automatic. It has a few issues I'm trying to look into. The car was free so I'm not complaining. Transmission shifts hard when it shifts to a higher gear. Down shifts are nice and smooth. Sounds like the timing chain is rattling too. One rear tire is cupped badly on the inside of the tread. I can't tell if the road noise is just the tire or a wheel bearing issue too. I've been told that both the rear wheel bearings have been replaced. I will be swapping the tire to a different location to see if the sound follows it.

I main reason I joined was to find out what issues the 2002 L100 has and what to look out for. Any pointers are welcomed

Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 PM

I guess I didn't provide any personal information with my post. So. . .

I reside in the great commonwealth State of Kentucky. This isn't my first GM but it is my first Saturn. My favorite car is my Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon whom I've dub Ms. Roadie. Years ago I tried driving my in-laws old Saturn SL1 and lets just say they weren't made for a 6'4" individual. I am rather surprised and pleased with the room in the L100. I'm not a brand loyal person, so it's not like I'll only drive GM vehicles. I do own a 1996 Ford contour, but that will hopefully change soon. I'm fixing her up to sell.

I'm a fairly competent mechanic, and love tinkering on my vehicles. Like I mentioned earlier the L100 has a few issues I'm looking into. I need to fix it up so it can be a reliable daily driver.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm not an ASE certified mechanic, just an old shade tree one. I've heard that the 2.2 did indeed have timing chain issues. I'd suggest getting a new timing set along with new tensioner and waterpump(?) maybe and replacing all of that. Can't tell you anything else about it. I didn't have my LW200 long enough to have any problems. I'd try a fluid and filter change on the transmission. Maybe substitute a half quart of fluid with Lucas transmission treatment.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome fellow L series owner. I installed my Roadmaster tow bar and gave my lw300 a test tow to town and back today. First trip with it behind the motor home in about 3 weeks.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome Scoff.

Get on that timing chain ASAP and do the other stuff Rube mentioned while you're in there. The chain and guides were supposedly redesigned after an earlier MY debacle. There was a govt investigation for an attempted push to recall all 200-2002 L cars w the 2.2l Ecotec.
Conclusion: data did not support that.

If the chain's noisy.....

Last edited by derf; 07-14-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:35 AM

I had a 2002 L200(only difference between mine and yours is interior options) that was lost to the timing chain tensioner failing... Get it fixed, or be prepared to swap in another healthy L61 in the near future... The tensioner itself is only a $35 part, but you would be ahead to replace the whole set while you're in there... I wish that I had fixed ours instead of letting it die, it was the first automatic car that I truly liked...

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM

Yeah I'm not driving it until I can throw a new timing chain in her. Do you think the balance shaft chain should be done too? are the balance shaft plastic chain tension/guides prone to wear too. I don't want to open her up twice.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The last Ecotec I repaired only needed the cam chain kit, the balance shaft chain was in great shape.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Sweet. I'll give it a good look over before I commit to buy the balance shaft kit.

Here's a lazy question for you guys. . .Who knows what pin-outs to test for on the ecu side of the wire harness for the 1-2, and 3-4 shift solenoids? Just thought I ask in case someone knew off the top of their head. If not I will research it myself.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:40 AM

Okay fellows. Just a little update. I've pulled the engine and transmission. I'm going to replace the timing chain, and the balance shaft chain with a kit that includes everything but the bolts. I will have to source them separately. I'm looking at this evergreen kit on amazon (Evergreen TKTCS10422CWP) I can't find any reviews on them. It also appears that the timing chain tensioner is the second gen. and not the latest third gen. redesign. Has anyone ever heard of this kit, and have any feedback on it? I've been trolling the way back machine and cannot find any reviews.

Quick Reply: New Saturn L100 owner