New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Default New Round 2

I am new to this forum. 2nd time this morning.

I did a nice write up, telling you all about my 1999 Saturn since new.

Following the normal protocol, I set up my account this morning.
Then 20 minutes into being a new user, I posted my introduction.
The forum said I was an inactive user and didn't let me post.
I just signed up!

So far, not impressed with forum software, but I'll give it a 2nd try.

I have a 1999 Saturn, purchased it new ... orig engine, trans, clutch, alternator, etc .... fixed a few things ... blah, blah, blah ...

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-13-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM

Welcome to the forum. A 99 Saturn what? Click on the UserCP and fill in your information when you get the time, if you don't mind.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM

Hey welcome to our Saturn Forum......one thing for sure if a person joins and does not post they become an inactive account and it gets shut down. It's not the software it's me and the other mods. Thats the best way to shut down spammers, and this site gets alot of spam. I removed four spam posts this am and banned those four user names along with nine inactive accounts. It's nothing personal, it's perventative actions. Again welcome to the forum. Open the user cp and add your first name, city, and car info to your signature. Once your make 25 posts contact sw2cam and he will set you up with an avatar.......Go ahead and take your sad face down as we don't use all crap on here.

Again welcome to The Saturn Forum

Last edited by RjION; 01-11-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM

Okay, I will try again to introduce myself and the details of the 1999 Saturn SL with a 5 speed.

On March 10, 1999, I simply needed a reliable car for the family. The last two cars I had purchased for commuting prior to it were unreliable.

For a new car, it was $12,995 with one option ... Air Conditioning. After a test drive my wife wanted to have a RH mirror for $100 added and I thought some floor mats would be good. We intended to own this car for a long time. That we did.
Here I am signing up for a Saturn forum now that the car is starting to need some repairs.

For the first 208,000 miles, this car has been, for the most part nearly trouble free.
The engine, transmission and clutch are original along w/ the alternator, AC and just about everything under the hood.

I only have 8 repairs I recall during the life of the car:

1) Tires, I've replaced several set (I purchased a set of Saturn Alloys which @ 15" instead of 14" helped the ride)
2) Spark Plugs & Wires (less than $60)
3) A couple of batteries (one every 6 to 7 years)
4) Brakes/ Pads ... typically every 80k or so on the rear and ~40k or so on the front
(parts are very inexpensive ... rotors are just $15)
5) EGR - replaced @ about 40k by dealers (cost ~$140)
6) Water pump & antifreeze (under $30 at Autozone)
7) Rt Front Wheel Bearing (installed, Les Scwabb $85)
8) Front Alignment w/ new control arm ($150) ... excessive inside front of tire

Again, this has been a great commuter car. Not well loved by my teens, but functional.

As the Saturn is getting older, I thought it would be helpful to review the forum for to better understand some of the repairs I may have in front of me.

There are two projects that need to be done soon:
1) replace thermostat .. .car is running cold w/ check engine light on.
2) Resolve vibration in front of the car. At freeway speeds I have something going on with drivetrain or front end. At 70, it will periodically start to vibrate ... comes and goes w/ acceleration and deceleration. I think it could be the CV joints going bad, but they certainly don't fair the CV joint test of going clunk/ clunk" when turning in a locked left or right steering position.

I only have four complaints about the Saturns
1) There is a leak in the right hand side of the trunk ... I drilled a hole and it now lets the water out. Evidently, the side panels don't adhere well to the structure ... sounds like a lot of work to pull off panel ... drilling a hole was a quick fix.
2) Why did they offer the SL without power steering ... the SL1 and SL2 both had power steering.
3) It is not well loved by the rest of the family (I have two teenage drivers). The car and will be Dad's daily driver.
4) My Saturn is dark blue, I've been rear ended 3 times in it after going for decade w/o being in any sort of accident (The brakes works, mostly it has been inattentive drivers behind me). I'd like incorporate a loud siren into the brake light pedal so people will look up from their cell phones.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Welcome to our forum it's a nice place.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 AM

ok, my signature follows protocol

Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 AM

It's protocol? Thought it was an easy way for members to remember a little about each other.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here!

Y'all are killing me this morning! lol

Old 01-17-2014, 02:05 AM

Thank you, glad to be here.

I look forward to learning some things about Old Blue on this forum.

Over and out .... Oh, yes, before I go ... I'm the guy with a 1999 Saturn. The roads are filled with Dark Blue late 90's Saturn's just like my mine.

I save over $700 a month driving my Saturn to work instead of my Chevrolet K3500 4X4 dually pickup. 35MPG or 9MPG .... the Saturn is a wonderful car!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 AM

I'd rather drive a big truck....

Quick Reply: New Round 2