New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New member, unusual story Ion 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Default New member, unusual story Ion 2

Hello all,

back in 2007 my brother purchased his Ion 2, told me about the sale of the last 50 Ion's in the country as the model line was closing. I told some colleagues and my GF at that time, and all of them wanted to purchase an Ion 2 before they were gone.

So, I drove to the dealership and tagged 4 Ions for all the interested parties. My GF did not have adequate credit so she did not get one, but all the other tagged vehicles were sold. The dealership thought I was a crackpot tagging so many vehicles.

Now, my Ion 2 only has 38xxx original miles on it, and I would like to believe it is the lowest mileage Saturn in the country. But it may not be. My purpose here is I am considering the sale of my Ion, and I am going to do some research before making up my mind. For those in the know these are phenomenal cars, the best auto I have ever owned.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. How did you "tag" the vehicles mentioned?

Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum.

Not to burst your bubble. but I'm sure someone's 95 year old grandma has a 1993 SW2 with flatspotted tires (they were flat spotted before they went flat) stashed away in her garage for the last 18 years (her husband drove it but died in '97) with 5800 on the odo.

(Prob needs an oil change.)

As a community of Saturn users, we do our best to be "in the know" in as much as we can, in order to help out as many fellow saturn owners as possible.

A heavily loaded auto Ion 2 w leather in Very Good (KBB definition) condition KBB's for about $6,100. Dealer trade in will of course be less.

Have any mechanical problems? If not, why not just keep driving it?

The car is not a collectible, so if I were you, I would either start driving it and putting some miles on it while parts to fix it are still available or sell it now before its value decreases, or you end up with a 25 yr old Ion 2 with 40K on it that you can't ever drive again because some obscure part fails and is no longer made by GM or anyone else and all the junkyards have already been stripped clean of the part.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM

I was suffering from a long commute when I purchased the car ( and fuel was $4.25/ gallon ). Shortly after, my commute distance was reduced to 10 miles to work. Needless to say I burn about $10/week fuel in my ol truck, and I really have no room for two vehicles anymore.

I am considering selling off my HD as well, using both to help fund a Victory bagger, something I really want. I suppose I could do a package deal for a pair of 07' vehicles with very low mileage ..LOL.

I changed the rubber mounts on the Saturn ( can't remember the part name ), the ones on the engine cradle that connect to the body. That's it nothing more has been touched. The front calipers are sticking due to lack of use.

Last time I drove this car I got a speeding ticket, it is fairly quick, and is hard to keep at any posted speed limit.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Ions are quick and can only be quick. And no, they aren't really that hard to keep at speed. Both mine are standards, and I have no issue when need-be.
Theres one around me with 47k on it, and theyre asking 6. If it was any color but gold, id grab it.
Hell, if you were local id probably be interested in it.
In all honesty though, ditch the truck and keep the Saturn. You admitted to how reliable it is and all.
So why not?
Do you have a family or are expecting one? Its a good car.
My mom fit 2 car seats, 2 dogs, and me in the car with no issue before it was passed to me.

Control arm bushings??

Ill give you 1500 shipped for the car without even looking. LMAO

Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM

I am widowed with no children of my own. After putting a whole house through college before myself, I found time to finally reach higher education and finish (although late in life ) and am very proud of it. My job providing is complete. The golden years to do what I want have begun.

So back to the question, I simply cannot live without a truck or some utilitarian vehicle. Believe me, nobody understands more than me the STEAL in getting an auto that is capable of longevity in the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS miles for a fraction of new. Not to mention the manual gets all of 35 mpg at any speed driven.

Yes I believe it was the control arm bushing. Pics of it are in my profile.... not Gold...LOL

Last edited by chawala; 05-11-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Damn it.
if money wasn't so tight right now id leave tomorrow to come buy it.
All I can offer would be an insult and I'm not doing that.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM

Man, that's a damn good looking car. I wish I wasn't trying to hang on to money right now for our move to Florida. I'd love to have that car, but, since it's a stick, my wife wouldn't be able to drive it. I'd have to be the sole driver..... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM

Its worth every penny of that 6k, too.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 AM

So Y'all like my Blue racer? ...LOL
Really, I find these cars quite agile and hard to keep at posted limits... but that's just me I guess.
If you look you can see the the new car (brochure?) still attached to the glove box.
Although it is parked in my garage it is very dirty from lack of use, kinda like how a non-used closet gets filthy with time.

Now I will list every possible flaw:
small coffee stain on drivers seat
a small dent on roof from semi-truck debris
small mark from a parking lot door ding
front calipers sticking from lack of use, will fix before considering sale
I need to change the oil and switch it to synthetic, b/c I think it would be more stable oil when not being driven. Tires are wearing nicely and need to be rotated, my brother used his Ion for work purposes, and got 100,000 miles driving from the original tires before replacing. I have also parked the car on wood to keep the tires from sitting on concrete all the time.

Interesting/amusing side story:
from earlier in my thread, one of my colleagues that I tagged an Ion for was still driving the very first Saturn model. This car had 300,000+ miles of use and drove well anywhere. Other than tires/brakes/exhaust, the car was completely original including suspension. The piston rings were wore out and it burned 1qt of oil per tank of gas. So, everyone brought their used oil to him (reguardless of grade or type ), he strained the oil with a cheese cloth and used it. Heavier oil actually worked better, like HD oil. The dealership gave him $100 for trade-in if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: New member, unusual story Ion 2