New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Girl! I know nothing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Banned
Default New Girl! I know nothing!

So I am new to this forum and Saturn cars in general. I will just jump into it and start by saying, Hi! I'm Jessica. I'm 29 and I have a 2004 Saturn Vue 6 Cyl.

I need help!! I went to a mechanic today to see about replacing my battery cable that is totally corroded. He says I need a positive cable and coming straight from the GM factory it's going to cost me $110.00 for just the cable.

I have been looking around online and calling auto part centers to see if there is a better deal on the cable. The cable I need is a AC Delco positive cable for my battery. Not a jumper cable...

People have been telling me around $50-60 dollars for the AC Delco cable. DOes this sound right to anyone?

I know nothing about cars and need help! I don't want to get played a fool. The mechanic also told me $90 for the labor. Ugh, that seems a little too much also.

Can anyone give me some advice and/or direction on what to do here...

Thank you so much!!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Welcome Jessica!

Well, now that I typed up a big long response and my browser crashed, ill try this again.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=354&jpid=1

That is the cheapest I found for $44. Tell them to take that $110 somewhere else.

Honestly, order the part, and call around to get a quote to find the cheapest place to install it.
Although I normally push doing the work yourself, electrical isn't something you really want to mess with if you don't know what you are doing.

It really bothers me how shops try to push people around. Especially females.
This is where we come in. You always want to have a general idea of what is wrong, before you go anywhere.
If you post here, saying you have code pXXXX, we can at least tell you, it is probably a, b, or c.

Try to find a local, independent shop. They are normally way cheaper and more honest. The only shop I use is independent, and I personally know the owner.
By independent, I mean Bobs Auto Repair. Not somewhere known like firestone or a stealership.

We are here to help. We love these little cars. And we certainly don't put up with the non sense of a shop pushing people around.
We will help you learn so you can just walk in and say "This is wrong, its either this this or that, Let me know which with a quote" Don't let them take advantage of you. That's why people let their cars die miles early.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Banned
Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for taking your time to find that site for me. That is also the cheapest I have seen. Something is going on with the sites order check out page so I will have to call them. I called a few auto parts stores around here and the going rate for he AC Delco one is around 50-60. But then some places have a Duralast cable which is like 10 bucks...I think we might just go with the Delco... In my car manual it reccomends to go with ACDelco.

My dad has said he is going to take a look at the battery to see if he could install himself and if he's not confident, we will take it to a mechanic. He also said "Welcome to the world of shady mechanics" when I told him about my mechanic. I really kinda trusted this guy too. It's too bad!

I am so glad to be apart of this forum and feel welcomed already! Thanks for your help! I know I will be back with more stuff (hopefully not) soon. But getting this cable is just something that HAS to be done. I have been having starting issues lately and it usually when it rains out. I try to start it, lights go on but nothing... then I wait 2 mins and bam..starts right up..

So problems with the starter? Who knows. One thing at a time though!

Thanks again, you've been a great help!

Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned
Default Acdelco 15276591

Were you able to cart that item, goaliemo?

It is not letting me now.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Banned

Damn! I don't know what happen. I can't find that part on that site you gave me and it won't show up in my cart anymore! Weird.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 PM

I didnt even try to add it to my cart.
go to rockauto.com, select Saturn, your year and vehicle, and type im the search "positive battery cable" should pop up. It is fairly simple to change, I just dont recommend doing it if you haven't done electric work before.
and your dad is right. Welcome to shade tree mechanics. Acdelco is good to an extent. Yes, its preferred because that's what the car came with (its a gm brand) but sometimes there is better. Dont always go with cheap, though. You buy cheap, you buy twice.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Banned

Yeah, they don't have it. I am now having a hell of a time trying to find this part online.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by essyca
Yeah, they don't have it. I am now having a hell of a time trying to find this part online.
I just found one on ebay for $12.85 with free shipping .

Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM

I just looked, too. And its gone. Really odd.

02 03 04 05 06 07 Saturn Vue Positive Battery Wiring Cable Connector Harness | eBay

I would order that. Only other brand on there, I wouldn't trust.

Or this place is AMAZING! Customer service is outstanding. This is if you want new. Cost a bit more though.
The 3.5l v-6 is the L66 by the way, not the L61

CABLE. Battery. (Positive). BATTERY MOUNTING & CABLES for 2004 Saturn Vue. #15276591

Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Part can be had from Nalley Buick GMC.
Goalie let me know about this gem of a hidden Saturn new old stock (NOS) parts repository.

2004 Saturn Vue BATTERY MOUNTING & CABLES

$53.41 part number 13 (SECOND is for v6) on diagram, pt # 15276591 (as Goalie indicated earlier)

It is not on RockAuto nor PartsTrain (they are usually my 2nd choice---but that may change).

Gee, $110 for the cable alone -- nice 100% parts price markup. Either he does this regularly (many places are in the 25% parts markup range) or he is making up for the fact that he's not making much profit off the labor on the job so he's making up for it. Being a mechanic is not all about fixing cars; it's fixing cars for a PROFIT.

I don't begrudge trained mechanics one bit for making a profit on a repair--it puts food on the table. It's the ones that try to take advantage of customers (women are walking bullseye targets) that I have problems with.

He's being honest in the sense that he is troubleshooting one step at a time from the most obvious and visible issue. He could have told you you needed both the cable AND the starter at the same time, not knowing if the starter was actually bad, but likely covering his *** in solving your starting issue, and at a nice profit to boot. But he didn't. I think he's just trying to turn a profit on the job.

Which does NOT mean that you have to say yes to anyone who quotes you a repair.

Knowledge is power.

Going in asking for parts and labor costs (individually) for GM part num 15276591 and installation gives them immediate notice you know exactly what you need and want from them. If you know the part number, they will likely know YOU know the cost of the part....etc

Going in and saying "I need my positive battery cable replaced. How much will that cost?" tells them you have done no research on the issue, and are ripe for the pickins.

Like Goalies said, we're happy to teach you what you need to know to fix your own vehicle -- or at very least diagnose it---so if you have to go to a shop you can go armed with the knowledge of the problem and a ballpark cost that is reasonable. We have a mechanic on the site who has been very helpful in many respects both mechanical and otherwise. I don't speak for others but he is a stand up dude.

So rest assured we will help you as much as possible

Quick Reply: New Girl! I know nothing!